Buy, sell or scrap

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by Corkyo, Sep 27, 2023.

1. Corkyo New Member

Hello all.
    I have a 2011 Golf GTI.
    I am reliably informed that the engine is knackered.
    I really cant decide whether to sell it or get someone to put a second hand engine in it.
    Its in perfect condition apart from that. Surely its not scrap?!?!?!?!?
    Please can someone give me the pros/cons of the options.
    Many thanks

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Welcome to the forum.
    It all boils down to costs doesn’t it really? What is the car worth in a good running condition? How much will it cost to rebuild/repair/replace the engine? Don’t forget that the car is probably worth more in the south of the country than the north so that needs to be taken in to consideration too.

3. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Scrap option is a complete non starter, whats a mk6 GTI worth on average 6k plus?

You could cut your losses and sell on somewhere ike ebay for spares and repairs and expect to get maybe 3-4k, or depending how much a good used engine is going to cost weigh up that option.

Only thing to consider with used engine is condition and reliability of it, standard of install by whoever fits it, and the fact that it might put people off buying. Can't speak for rest of humanity but I wouldn't touch anything which had had a replacement second hand engine unless super cheap or suitably vintage (eg if it was a MK2 Golf and even then I'd much prefer matching numbers)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  4. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If you scrap it, I’ll buy it for £50 more than scrap value.

and then I’d put an engine in it and use it [:D]

I’d put an engine in it regardless, but that’s just me. Equally, you’d not know id put an engine in it if you were buying it. Unless you went number searching

5. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

If you want to keep the car for the foreseeable future and are genuinely attached to it, then by all means, put another engine in.
    Look for an engine that can be seen/heard running, preferably with compression test results, and you should be good.

6. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

100 more than scrap value here :-)

7. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Another suggestion - buy a written off running mk6 gti, use the engine, break the rest and make a chunk of ££ back even end up break even/in profit if you are savvy?

stephen stanyer likes this.
  8. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

£105 more here

RichardDarrenB likes this.
  9. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I’m very sure you would be able to buy a recon bare block and head and swap all the bits over. You’d need to give your old block and head in part ex of course

10. stephen stanyer Forum Member

is it not an option to have the original engine rebuilt. At least you will know the state of the engine.

11. watercooled Forum Member

I agree about buying a write off and getting the long block changed over ,buy one that has been rear ended and hopefully with VAG service history ,research popular used parts and pull those off and get the remains hauled away .
    I don't know a lot about these engines but my mechanic mate is right up on them and he mentioned the H.P. pump cam follower causes real big issues when it fails sending broken bits around ,he also mentioned timing chain tensioner issues .
    End on the day condition/mileage of the car is important and if it is good as you say repower could be an option but not everybody has the time and room to be storing used parts or further space for a donor car until sent to recycle ....tuff call really ??.
    Good luck ,cheers.