Buying a MK4 TDI Anniversary... any tips?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Dubmuffin, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Dubmuffin Forum Member

First of all I have 'used teh search' :lol: but couldn't find anything specific to what i'm looking to know.

I'm guessing the FAQ on here of common MK4 faults applies to these, but I was also wondering if there was anything specific to the Anni to look out for? For example i'm guessing there are a lot of replicas out there that people are trying to pass off as genuine etc.?

Also, do we think it is possible to get a good one for the 4000 mark?
    And is mileage really an issue on the TDI models?

Thanks in advance :thumbup:
    Becca

2. OldBoyRacer New Member

Hi Becca - first thing: take your time. There is always another Anni round the corner, about to come on the market so don't buy a lemon because you think another wont come up.

I looked online for a couple of months (OK a bit excessive) checking out what was available and reading up on them. Bought mine about 8 weeks ago.

Two things in particular to look out for: firstly are the alloys in good nick? The originals had really bad corrosion problems. VW did a replacement service and the finish on these was much better. Check if this shows in paperwork. Mine had a sheet from VW when it was two years old. If it does not - check them carefully. If they have been refurbed that's OK and they will probably be better at resisting corrosion. A refurb is not cheap and decent Anni alloys are 700-1000!

Secondly the PD engines sometimes develop problems with the "chocolate" camshaft (i.e. it's as soft as....) This can be checked by a decent mechanic whipping the cam cover off and having a look. If the lobes look scored you could be in for a bill of 500 to replace it (and the followers) with an improved part. Proper service history and use of the correct oil will be a big help here, but they can still be a problem.

Otherwise thay do not have any more vices than other Golfs. Have a look for any advice about buying any PD (Pump Deuse) TDi Golf. The Anni uses the 150 BHP PD engine.

Check there is an anniversary plaque on the fuse box cover. If it's not there it should be. Doesn't mean it isn't one and they can be got but it's a bit of a pallaver! Also it should say Anniversary on the V5 and do an HPi check: it should come up as an Anniversary. It's pretty difficult to completely replicate an Anni and it would probably cost more in parts to tart up a 150 PD Golf to be a convincing Anni that it would to buy one.

Look for the following features:
    Three door
    Special black/red striped upholstery
    Red edging on seat belts
    Golf ball gear lever knob
    Ally rimmed speedo/tacho dials
    Small centre sun visor (above rear view mirror)
    ESP button on dash
    Black roof lining
    Badging on boot should say Golf GTi (Anni diesel is the ONLY Golf to be badged GTi)
    Perforated leather steering wheel and hanbrake cover with red stitching
    Red stiching on the gear lever gaiter
    Engine type should be ARL
    Lightly smoked rear lights
    Small spoiler on tailgate
    PD exhaust can not be seen - no cutout in rear bumper.

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system can completely choke up with soot and oil. Ask if it has been cleaned out (and the inlet manifold) and has the turbo been checked for the same. Again a decent mechanic can check this reasonably easily and also that the vanes work freely. Mine had done 60k and had not been done but was fine. If it's doen 100+ it will probably need doing. Not a huge job but could be costly in labour.

Check it pulls strongly from 1500-2500 rpm in all gears if not suspect chocolate cam or EGR clogged.

I would not be bothered if the car has had a reputable remap from e.g. R-Tech, AMD etc but take care. If you are not sure - walk away. Also walk away from cars that have had loads done to them - why buy an Anni if you are going to heavily modify it? Mine now has a remap and I have fitted OEM criuse control, plus a Parrott Bluetooth. That's all I will do to it. It's plenty quick enough and looks the business.

Don't be too worried by high mileage if it has a proper service history. You aren't going to get a low mileage one for 4000. Properly serviced and maintained you can get 200K out of these engines. Good tip is to phone the servicing garage and ask about the car - make sure the service history is not fake and get an idea about how good the garage is.

Finally don't listen to anyone who says Annis are overpriced. They do everthing a GTi should do right out of the box. Even without a remap thay are quick and corner beautifully.

Hope you manage to get one, and I hpe this helps. Good hunting.

3. Bally69 New Member

Hi. Excellent advice. I have just bought one and I did all of the above apart from checking the EGR. Is this something I can do? Or if it pulls well does it mean it is OK.

My badge has fallen off. and is missing. I have checked and my car is def an Anni. Can I get another badge?
    Thanks Jon

4. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

I have a mate selling a Diesel Anni.. in silver, 102k for 6k
    http://www.vagingit.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,10072.0.html

5. Dubmuffin Forum Member

Really useful advice there, thanks! Unfortunately didn't hold out for an Anni in the end, a Black 3dr GT TDI PD130 Highline came up locally that was absolutely perfect and an absolute steal, 85k on the clocks, FSH, one owner from new, with a load of extras. Had to have it really.

Threw it in at the deep end and drove from Stoke to Devon and back in the same day the day after picking it up :lol: drove beautifully though without fault, such a great car.

Really helpful advice there though so thank you, it will most likely come in useful for someone else eventually!

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my advice would be to buy a 130pd because the annis are horrendously overpriced

7. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

8. Dubmuffin Forum Member

Read above :)

9. OldBoyRacer New Member

Glad to be of help

Shame you didn't hold out for an Anni, but a good 130 PD is a nice car and V good value.

As for Annis being overpriced (poss 1500-2000 more than non Anni) you get a car that has most of the mods that people do to their stock motors. Loads of people out there spending loadsamoney trying to replicate the look of an Anni.

I've got a car that looks right, lowered, nice rims, bigger brakes, deep front and rear valances. smoked front & rear lights, great (unique) interior with climate and all the other little touches. Not only that, it goes great, corners like it's on rails and returns great MPG. It's a totally different drive to my father's TDi. Not only that, it's the only TDi to be badged GTi and is one of only 1800 made (only 3% of that 1800 were red TDis). To me it's the ideal sporty Golf - and I looked at some 4motions and R32s before I settled on my Anni. Bear in mind my last car was an Audi S4 which was stupendously quick and surefooted - but the Anni is MUCH more fun in everyday driving and my fuel bill is less than half.

It's the first car I've owned (since a Mach I Mustang in 1981) that I keep finding excuses to go out for a drive in (and it gets a bit more than 13 MPG!)

I bet there's not many on this forum would turn one down if they could afford it? Go on - you know you want one!;)

10. OldBoyRacer New Member

Hi Jon

You need to take the EGR off and look inside. Have a look here (pictures about 2/3 way down topic):

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/322951/2266011.aspx#2266011

If yours looks like this you need to clean the manifold and EGR valve.

[​IMG]

Re the Anni plaque. If you go to VW they should be able to supply a replacement. Do you know what number your is?

11. OldBoyRacer New Member

12. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Haha so it wasn't bad advice then

13. markb16v Forum Member

if you can live without the bodykit, wheels and headlining save yourself 2k and get a gttdi 150, i prefer the leather in mine to the anni interior anyway, and the seats are more supportive!

the only feature i'm jealous of is the headlining tbh

14. OldBoyRacer New Member

I know what you mean. I looked at some GTTDis and was very tempted - they are nice cars and v good value. I like the leather, and it would have been cheaper, but once I drove an Anni I was hooked.

The handling, braking etc is much more like a sports car - it's SIGNIFICANTLY different to a GTi. It "turns in" beautifully to corners and is very "planted". Add to that the bodykit, wheels and height reduction and the car just looks right. I actually like the seats, and the cloth is not as cold in winter and cooler in summer. Also there are lots of little touches inside: red stitching, leather handbrake, golfball gear knob, silver surrounds to dials, sun visor over the rear view etc.

Then there is the rarity value: just 900 Diesel Annis and only 3% of Anni diesels were in red (R-Tech had not seen another one)

Anything is only worth what someone will pay and there are lots of people out there prepared to pay a premium for an Anni. I probably paid 2K more than an equivalent mileage GTTDi, but once I had driven the Anni, I could easily have spent that on trying to make a GTi as good as the Anni and probably not succeeded. The Anni is nerly perfect, right out of the box.

If I hadn't bought it I would have always wished I had.

15. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

^^^ Looks nice :thumbup:

16. OldBoyRacer New Member

Thanks mate. Gives me a buzz every time I see it.;)

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Does look nice tbh, as much as I do rib Annis.

18. OldBoyRacer New Member

You're a gent to admit it.:thumbup:

19. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

It just looks as fresh as the day it was released. A low miler?

20. Danallkins

Danallkins Forum Member

I love my Anni.... Same colour as yours! Gives me a big smile every time I drive mine too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]