bypass valves mk2

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by roddysgti, Sep 11, 2008.

1. roddysgti New Member

yo, iv got a 91 mk2 gti 8v

at the mo my heater isnt blowing hot air. iv got a feeling its got the famous crappy matrix bypass valves. just to make sure are they the two parralel hoses runing through the bulkhead with 2 valves and a smaller hose linking the two? if so iv heard you can just take the valves out but have been warned that you may have to uprate the matrix? is this true? as i really cant be fecked to replace the matrix. would it be easier to just replace the valves?

cheers, rod.

2. WillG

WillG Forum Member

yes it's those valves, replace them with a bit of pipe and then run the car up to temp and see if it works without them, then if you aren't going to change the matrix get some more valves. otherwise it can be very dangerous...

my jetta used to blow cold air if the coolant was low, or if it had an airlock too...

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

depends, some matrix blow even with the valves, some last forever even tho they never had the valves at all! I binned mine and its been fine for 3 years. just wait I'll be posting how i got burnt feet on the way home tnight :lol:

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Is this:

17855 PRESS COMPENSATING LINE G2 27.90

GSF's part number? Can't seem to find a description that sounds like "Bypass valves".

What do VW charge for them?

Edit: Yes that is the right GSF part number. Had to buy from them as VW said they couldn't get any at the moment.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2008
  5. rubjonny

iirc it was around 35, I bought some a fair few year ago.

6. thegave Forum Member

Is there a picture/diagram/anything in the Haynes manual for the bypass valves?

7. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Valves are obsolete from VW now.

8. thegave Forum Member

So options...
    1. Clean valves
    2. Remove valves, replace with regular piping
    3. Replace matrix with MK3 matrix??

9. rubjonny

2. is always recommended after 3, doing 2 with mk2 matrix may result in matrix sploderisation

10. thegave Forum Member

Oh. Thought 3 was a solution in its own right.

Damnit. That's a huge job...

Is it possible to get second hand bypass valves?

11. rubjonny

well it is, once you have the mk3 matrix you dont need the bypass valves any more is my point :)
    taking the valvers out on the original matrix may casue it to blow, or then again it may not! 2nd hand ones probably wont be any better, gsf used to sell them and I thought VW discontinued em a while ago but started making again?

12. thegave Forum Member

Are the valves not cleanable?

Still can't find them in Haynes...

13. rubjonny

the haynes was written before the valve recall was issued by VW I'd imagine, which is why you can't find em. You could try cleaning em out but usually the pressure relieve part just goes wrong and vents too early.

14. thegave Forum Member

I figure if I'm going to have to replace the matrix anyway I may as well try and bypass the valve first I mean the worst that could happen is second degree burns on my feet and legs since I'm so short, so does anyone have pictures/diagrams to help me locate and remove the valve?

cheers

15. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Looking from the front of the car, you`ll see two pipes coming out on the right hand side of the bulkhead.

One goes to the side of the head (matrix feed), and the other (matrix return) goes to the metal water pipe.

Now, everyone refers to the set-up as `bypass valves`, but (being pedantic for a second) there`s only one `bypass` valve, that`s fitted in the matrix feed pipe. The other piece is a `check` or `non-return` valve that prevents the relieved pressure from flowing into the matrix from the return side.

If you have the valve fitted you`ll see it about half-way up the matrix feed pipe. It`s a metal body with a small bore pipe leading to the plastic t-piece in the return pipe (it`s this small bore pipe that the relieved pressure passes through when the valve opens).

They`ll probably only be attached with Jubilee clips, so removing them is simple.

Replace them with a couple of 3-4" lengths of copper pipe (there`s always debate about which diameter to use, but 22mm rings a bell).

Just don`t do what someone I know did and join the wrong ends together...

He ended up bypassing the matrix completely and wondered why he still had no heat....[:s] :lol:

Hope that helps! :thumbup:

16. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've never heard of anyone cleaning the valves successfully. I tried it with kettle descaler, among other things...

I've replaced valves with copper pipe, with no problems. Only a tiny fraction of the cars ever blew the heater matrix. While it would be pretty unpleasant if it happened, it's very unlikely.

22mm pipe is the nearest I've found. Ideally you'd want 20mm, as 22mm is a bit of a stretch for the hoses, but I haven't found anywhere that sells 20mm pipe.

17. thegave Forum Member

I didn't find a metal T-joint ... there's a metal T-joint but it's not really a T... it's like an elbow joint and then after the elbow joint there's rubber hose that leads to the other big pipe.

Um... so, I know I'm an idiot, but which one is the valve? The joint? Pix plz =(

18. rubjonny

find the pipe coming out the side of your cylinder head, follow it to where it runs to the firewall just under the coil. notice there is another coolant pipe right next to it, follow this back to the metal pipe. These 2 pipes are chopped, and the bypass valves are fitted inline :)

To remove the bypass valves, you either:
    a) take them out and rejoin the pipes with copper pipe
    b) buy new new uncut pipes from GSF
    c) pinch uncut pipes taken from a later compatible VAG model in your local scrappy, such as a MK3 Golf, Passat, SEAT Ibiza etc.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  19. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The metal piece is the valve...like I already said...[:s]

20. thegave Forum Member

I think I get it now!

[I did say I'm an idiot?]

Cheers! Now I gotta ask my friend how the jubilee clips work ha...