Cable-x calculation

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Pjuvis, May 2, 2021.

1. Pjuvis New Member

Hey, someone using cable-x for golf mk2? I have it, but I'm not execly know how to calculate my options. I'm using 02M petrol gearbox with 1.8t BAM engine. Rims I using 15" with 195/50 tyres.
    In the installation instruction said my need 3 things:

• Teeth on transmission exciter gear: This would refer to the number of teeth or pulses the transmission would count out per revolution of the drive shaft. Most GMs with automatic transmissions output 40 pulses per revolution. High performance transmissions, like in Trans Ams, Camaros and Corvettes that have '6-speeds', usually have a 17 pulse per revolution output.

• The rear axle ratio. You will need to know your rear axle ratio for accurate calibration. The ratio of 3.73 will be used in the example.
    • Revolutions per mile of the tires. If you do not know the revs per mile of the tires, it can be calculated. Measure from the ground up to the center of the axle, multiply this by 2. This gives you the height of the tire with the weight of the vehicle on it. Multiply this total by 3.14 (Pi). This gives you the circumference. Divide the number of inches in a mile (63360) by the circumference of the tire to find the revs per mile.
    I search, but I can't find my transmission teeth number, maybe someone know it?
    The rear axle ratio, whats is this and how I can get it?
    Revoliutions per miles, a little bit understand this, but I'm using kilometers, not miles..

Sorry for my bad english.

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

As 02M gearboxes work fine with mk3/corrado clocks which use 02A type gearbox, and those work out basically same as 020 you can use MK2 golf calculations like so:
    MK2 Golf cluster expects 6160 pulses per mile

Assuming 195/50/15 tyres = 576mm diameter = 892 rotations/mile

6160 / 892 = 6.90582959641 pulses per wheel revolution

4. rubjonny

may need to tweak the settings to your liking, all comes down to tyre size, accuracy of speedometer and exactly how close 02M is to 02A/02J/020 box. Gives you something to start from anyway

5. Pjuvis New Member

This is nightmare for me.. I many time try to understand all of it, so I will try using 6160 (closes is 6150) but not working for me. I will try using different pulses setings, but not working. My 02m speed sensor have 3 wires, so 1 wire need to have +12v when engine is working, yes? Second wire is ground and 3 wire (blue/white) is the signal witch I connect to cable-x, I understand correct? I have idea, maybe I not conect speed sensor + and ground, because I not remember I conect that before or not, or My pulses is different..

6. rubjonny

even if the calibration was off the speedometer should do something while driving around, so yeah check you have live and earth to the sender

7. Pjuvis New Member

Yeach, it was my fault. I was not conected T14a / 2. Conected this to G2 / 4 and now speed sender get + 12v. Second fault I was conect wht / blue wire to cble-x (I think thats is the speed sender signal), but when I check this is wrong, because my speed sender signal is T14a / 3 (in my case is green wire). So now cable-x is working! I'm not checked whats the wht / blue wire in my case, just wrap it. Now I need to calibrate it, because I use 6150 pulses and I looks like I drive about 70kmh (feels like) but my cluster show about 40kmh, I think because you say thats 6160 pulses per mile, in my case I using kilometers, so I need to recalibrate.

8. rubjonny

you probably connected the ecu VSS signal wire to the cable x, this needs to be connected to the cluster output on W/1 if so. you could also tap it direct to the speedometer sender before cable-x if you like.

sorry yes my bad, of course you need to calibrate your cable-x for km/h not mph :lol:

so if you look at the front of your speedometer it has a code, 1.0-1.3 speedometer its 935, 1.6-1.8 its 950. This refers to how many cable rotations it expects per km and a VW speedometer sensor will output 4 pulses per rotation. so 935 x 4 = 3740 pulses per km or 950 x 4 = 3800 :)

9. Pjuvis New Member

Hey, I try it to calibrate cable-x few day ago, I'm using 3800 (in my case 3750 is the closest setting) pulses, but work bad. I drive about ~100km/h but my cluster show about 60km/h. I think problem is because in cable-x instruction the displayed pulses are displayed in miles ( http://www.atrol.com/cx30/ ), but I calculate my cluster pulses in kilometers, so in the end I get different score. So I think easiest way is using random pulses and see where it was closest real speed (using gps or something). :)

10. rubjonny

ah yeah so you need to do your calculations in miles to get the cable-x working properly, then once thats sorted your speedometer will read perfect. or just adjust till its right :lol: