Calling all high mileage commuters - what car do you use & why did you choose it?

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by G-Man, Mar 30, 2014.

1. G-Man Forum Junkie

I've been driving 25k miles a year for nearly 9 years now and having had an Arosa TDI, mk4 golf 1.8T, Volvo S60 D5 and now a Clio 172. I'm now in search for another car to mop up my annual mileage. But as my fuel bills are around 320 a month and I'm in the process of buying a house, I need to consider driving something cheaper to run:

My options are:

a) Buy a cheap diesel car, like an A4 B5 1.9 TDI, save money each month but have an old boring car to drive.
    b) Buy something newer like an A3 2.0 TDI, save a money each month, drive something more refined and visually appealing, but at the downside of having an outlay at least 4k and possibly face larger repairs bills (DMF, DPF, turbo etc)

So for those high mileage commuters of ClubGTI, what car do you use and why? I'm interested in those who have gone down the route of an older car to run (cheaper to buy) and also those who have spent more money to buy something better :)

2. Mr Funk Forum Member

I'm in a similar position.
    New job means no company car and we really need a second car. Modest budget and looking at diesels.
    Been looking at S Line A4. Nice kit for the money (I've about 7k to play with)

3. nealey Forum Junkie

I.a.n.b used to do 20k a year and he just did it in things like old diesel polos and diesel mk3 golfs, he used to just pretty much do any little bits that needed doing, kept it serviced and if anything major went wrong just move it on and buy another one. At one point he was doing it in a 2 year old polo gt but he stopped using that as 20k a year would of soon took the value out of it.

4. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

I have an '08 plate Vectra Sri Estate (150bhp cdti)

It's comfortable, it's got sat nav, Bluetooth and cruise, I can fit the whole world in it (and 3 full size rear passengers on the rare occasion I take passengers)

My commute is ~50 miles each way, 30 of which is M4 and the last two tanks of fuel I've had just over 50mpg.

Its no rocket ship, but it's certainly not a slow car, it handles remarkably well for its size and it's massively practical.

5. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Hey G-man, both my bro and I spoke to you at the RR day - remember the Xsara HDI VTR we mentioned, that we both owned? - that does 600 miles to a tank (about 50 litres) and can be remapped to go like a scalded cat once in gear and moving.. also they can be had for peanuts. Bonus being you can blank the EGR fairly easily, there is also no DPF or dual mass flywheel on these.. worth a shout if it is just a daily.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  6. mercedeslimos Forum Member

I've clocked up 100k miles in a shade under 3 years, have a B6 Passat 1.9TDI (albeit not standard).

Cost me 5k then, but with slight damage @54k . Fixed her up and away. Blew up the box at 100K, and installed a 6-speed conversion (like Ryan at Darkside does).

Since then done another 50k+ without issue from engine or gearbox. Admittedly handbrake issues are annoying, but I adore the car, soaks up my 90 mile commute with ease and does it comfortably. I've modified the car to suit me, with coilovers, Bi-Xenon lights and loads of electrical retrofits. Due it's second cambelt now and to be honest nothing I've seen out there for similar or more money does what it does quite as well all round.

I often see 70MPG on the trip computer on my commute. This translates to around 55 real world MPG over the wheel, commute and shorter trips and a few fun thrashes over a back road.

Since buying it I've had a mapped PD150 Golf (the donor car for my MK2) and used various other cars but nothing comes close for all-round ability. Spacious, roomy, cheap to run, comfy, reliable, and still a relatively modern car.

I've looked at Octavia VRSs, Alfa Romeo 159s, 170BHP Passats, Rover 75s you name it. Would feel short changed spending money and then getting worse MPG, an unreliable car or something that isn't as user friendly.

Sam

7. G-Man Forum Junkie

I did consider getting a mk3 golf tdi and dare I say even the odd looking Polo saloon which had the same 1.9 TDI engine.

Not looked at the Vauxhall's to be honest but might have a look at lunch to see how much they're exchanging hands for.

Yep I remember - keep forgetting to look at the Xsara's as i've been looked towards a 306 HDI run out model with the GTI alloys. But you're spot with the fact I'd rather avoid a car with a DPF and Dual Mass Flywheel. But last time I looked at autotrader there wasn't many of those Xsara's for sale and the only good one's for sale were the older pre-fact lifted 1.9 non turbo versions.

8. G-Man Forum Junkie

I have considered the B6 Passat as the prices have dropped, and I would probably stick with the 1.9 TDI lump and just enjoy it to soak up the miles. The only thing that puts me off is the problems that relate to the B6, but I haven't looked into those problems.

9. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

I have a 306 HDI for daily duties, do around 20k a year in it.

Paid 900 for it and for the first year it was golden, wanted for nothing. It's starting to show its age now a little, bit of rust, interior a little worn etc and unfortunately I have had to throw quite a lot of parts at at in the last few months. Lift pump, wheel bearings, crankshaft pulley (common on these), front springs after one snapped, couple of calipers etc but I guess this is all part of a higher mile car. Its tricky to get the motivation to spend out on it when the car is worth bugger all so make sure you weigh this up.

Touch wood its on 145k and doesn't use any oil. Regular changes are cheap (30 quid from ebay for a service kit) and parts plentiful in the breakers. Its trump card is 600-700 miles to a tank though.

They are slow as ****e though and of course you have to live with the shame of a french car lol

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  10. Steve B Forum Junkie

I woudlnt get a mk3 golf or anythign cheap for comfort and safety reasons

I bought a B6 Passat estate for my commute for the following reason

I had a mk3 golf estate and the seats were killing my back, the wore out and slowly the lumbar support collapsed and then I started having back issues because of my posture in those stupid seats (to be fair i could have swapped them but i didnt realise this was the cause for a good long time, even when my back was siezing up in the car)
    the passat was an auto (DSG) which is awesome in stop and start traffic
    It has cruise control (se model) which is awesome on the motorway
    It has 5 star safety rating, (including passengers and rear baby seats not that i need those things) with all the extra miles Ive been doing the chances of being hit by someone or having an accident increase, and I figured it would be a good idea to have a car that would actually protect me in a collision instead of the mk3 which is just not safe in comparison (despite what you'd be lead to believe)
    its a 2.0li diesel that get 45 - 60 mpg depending where i drive
    It now has DAB, Bluetooth phone, MP3 and all that jazz, if i held out for a extra bit i could also get steering controls, sat nav, leather seats
    the estate is very usefull for me especially as I was moving and renovating homes, the fact i can fit things in the back is a real help
    all the above things could be found in most 2007 onward cars but specific to the passat, it looks good, still looks modern and is an 07,
    is still as safe as a modern one except it doesn't have auto braking which i think is an option on some now
    mine was 6000 for an 70,000 miler with full service history and all that which was cheap at the time 2-3 years ago
    and it was a dub which is what i wanted and i couldnt afford an audi lol

the only thing worth noting about the B6 is they have problems with the electronic hand brake, so far mine was just a 25 switch so only had issues once, the DSG service is expensive which it needs every 40,000, and the fuel pumps self destruct, mine went at 101,000 miles, they are 200 for an OEM replacement but not tricky to fit. Other than that ive had no issues.

i did 30,000 in 3 years but have now moved closer to work so its doing no mileage at all in comparison, its got 101,000 on the clock, but still looks and feels new. the depreciation isnt going to be massive because its a VW and to be honest It will probably keep running for 200,000 - 250,000 miles. fingers crossed. no plans to swap it for anything else yet. I actually love it.

11. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Don't get the 2l audi diesel engine, they have a common fault with the oil pump drive wearing out (mates just had to strip on of these and the design of the oil pump drive is bad to say the least!), failed just over 100,000 mile mark.

The 1.9 is a much better engine, lad at work has an Audi A4 with over 200,000 miles on it and never missed a beat/ very economical.

12. Steve B Forum Junkie

in theory keith wouldn't the 2.0li audi engine pretty much be any 2.0li vw, audi, skoda or seat engine. which most of the deisels are from 2006 onward. Is this problem with a specific engine code?

13. mercedeslimos Forum Member

In the Passats the BKP 140 TDI is the one to stay away from (Balancer shaft, oil pump hex drive, injectors etc). the BMN 170TDI is reliable apart from some injector issues although they are all covered by warranty now.

The Audi A4/6 BLB and most other balancer-shafted 140 TDIs are notoriously bad, same as the BKP Passat.

MK5 Golf/Jetta/Octavia/Leon/A3 BKD is reliable apart from early A revision heads which go porous.

My 1.9 105 TDI has been perfectly reliable in the 3 years, one burst pipe to the EGR cooler alright.

I know what you're saying about the safety, Passat has 8 airbags, ABS, ESP as standard with lots of kit.

14. Stevepd Forum Member

I wanted my GTI but it was going to be my daily driver. I'm doing 330 miles a week costing 50 p/w at the current prices. I'm getting an average of 38 mpg in commuting traffic occasionally touching 40.

I came from an A6 (b5) with the CVT box that started to go. Other than that it was a great car and 44mpg all day long.

15. skydivebaz

skydivebaz Forum Member

I've got a **** ibiza tdi. Nothing works windscreen busted. Suspension crap and leaks water. I would smoke but windows don't work but yet my jelopi does 50-55 mpg and air con freezing and it refuses to break down. It was 500 with nearly 13 months mot and I doubt it it ever even passed it's mot. But I just love it!!! Turbo I'm not sure works as it used to as struggles on anything with more than a 2% hill!!!!!

But parts for my mk2 20v a plenty.

16. G-Man Forum Junkie

Had a look at the B6 Passat's for sale at lunch and surprised how much they have dropped in price.

I wouldn't get a 2.0 TDI engine for the problems mentioned above and would rather have the lower powered and trust 1.9 TDI unit. Also a guy I know who had a 2.0 TDI in the A3 said he was quite disappointed with the MPG having come from a mk4 1.9 TDI.

Did VW make revisions to the 1.9 TDI engine to reduce the camshaft problem?

What's the suspension like on the B6 in terms of durability?

17. G-Man Forum Junkie

I did consider an A6, but most seem to come with the 2.5 TDI lump that won't return great MPG and will need an expensive cambelt replacement at some point in my ownership.

18. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

Mk4 Golf GT TDI 1.9 - 53 plate 46,000 miles in last 18 months Bought for 2050 @ 112,000 miles - Keep it below 2,000 rpm and it will do in excess of 50mpg all day long, driving like a teenager and it will do 45mpg.
    Good power, good economy still looks modern-ish, Cheap to maintain and most important its still a vw!!! Does 500+ miles to the tank, holds its values

Servicing is cheap as do it my self, the only real problem was the DMF was starting to rattle, so 500 to replace with new clutch.

Fitted anniversary splitters both front and rear, Depo Projector headlights with HID's and heated leather interior along with Pioneer double din dvd stereo and its a decent place to be for the commute.

19. K7aus

K7aus Paid Member Paid Member

I have 1994 Audi 100 2.5 TDI estate that does 45mpg all day long (5 Cylinder Straight 5 engine with 6 speed box) Good load lugger but bit of a barge. People do get out of your way. No airbags just ABS, but you do have 6ft of metal front and back as crumple zone

dUff likes this.
  20. Steve B Forum Junkie

ah you've touched on another point, I have had to replace a spring on the suspension on my b6, but then again so did a friend of mine on his polo. not sure if its common or not, and a relatively easy job if you do stuff yourself.

My girlfriend has a mk5 golf Bluemotion and that thing is amazing. Its a manual however, but it gets 70MPG on the motorway! its a bit insane, its quick enough and it has all of the airbags etc, great little car. not sure if you can get cruis control or not

but i do love my B6! just make sure to get at least an SE as its the cruise control and rear leccy windows model. If I had my time again i woudl have got a sport or maybe one of the other high end models with leather seats and a few more extras like steering controls and GPS.