CALLING SYMEE, 02J (EGU)/ ABF Question answered.

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by twolitrepinto, Jan 21, 2017.

1. twolitrepinto Forum Member

Symee, I tried to reply via PM but it says you have chosen not to receive PM's or your inbox is full?

Thought my opinion on this might help others deciding on gearbox choice anyway so here it is.

Hi mate sorry for the late reply.

In my opinion, the ratios of this box are perfect running 195/50/15's

The rev's sit fairly high on the long runs but not too bad really, 4k revs at roughly 80mph.
    The engine hits the rev limiter at about 143mph (this wasn't on the road obviously).
    That was using mk3 16v clocks and the electronic speedo.

It also pulls well on track, obviously 4.25 or 4.27 would be better for track days but in my opinion these ratios would be a bit too much for a daily if you take it long distance.
    Some will disagree but this is just my personal opinion.

What i love about this box is that 1st, 2nd and 3rd are fairly spaced out but still close enough to pull like a train (closer than the stock ABF 02a box that i tried), then 3rd, 4th and 5th are closer to each other.

In other words when your pedalling it at 60mph in 3rd and change to 4th, the car just keeps pulling all the way in to 5th then all the way to top speed.

I would recommend the EGU/ABF combination as an excellent all rounder to anyone, you will need to change the drive shaft cups/flanges to 100mm bolt on type though and obviously consider your options regarding hydro clutch or seat conversion parts but info on this is available everywhere.

This particular gearbox came from a 2003 VW Bora and originally had 108mm bolt on cups/flanges.

Hope this helps.