Cam for 2.0 8V????

Discussion in 'Engines' started by richierich998, Oct 26, 2003.

1. richierich998 New Member

Anyone have any ideas or know which is the best cam to go for in a 2.0 8V that Im building to go into my Mk2.

Spec so far:-
    2.0 8V Mk3 bottom end
    1.8 8V digi head (ported and polished and port matched)
    Lightened and balanced flywheel
    Jetex s/s system

2. IanCarvell Forum Member

I have a Schrick 304 that is the b0ll0x...but would be rubbish on the road.

3. richierich998 New Member

Thats the only problem, the car is going to be used on the road, but i want to do some track days and sprints

4. VR6Will Forum Member

I have a TSR 202 cam in my 1.8 8v, have had gas flowed and ported head, gas flowed inlet manifold and a 4 branch exhaust, i find this cam very good setup for everyday road application, chrismc also used this cam in his 2l 8v, but i think he's changing it now as he's getting a big valve head,

it depends really how far you want to go, i've been happy with mine now for about 4months, but i will be going 2l soon, and also bigger valves, so will will probably need a more lairy cam

5. chrismc Forum Junkie

The 202 is a bit mild for a 2L IMO, but great in a 18/1900!! :p

Im changing to a TSR 203....282 deg duration & 11.6mm lift. This would be too hairy for an 1800 but im sure the 2L will manage it fine..

Might have a lumpy idle but who cares, thats half the fun! ;)

The biggest problem youll have with the 2L is the standard valve sizes dont allow them to rev out terribly well. Hence there is no point in going stupid with the cam as it will be wasted effort.....

Best off saving up & getting a Big valve head to make the engine work properly!

This is the best course of action, especially if you want to do track days/sprints etc. With standard valve sizes you will lack the reviness badly compared to an equivalent 1800 or 1900! [:^(]
    Edited by: chrismc