Camera Projects

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by WillStandard16v, Nov 11, 2008.

1. WillStandard16v Forum Member

Hi. Decided to buy myself a new camera. Went with a cross-over camera as I dont think Im ready for a DSLR yet whilst Im still learning.

[​IMG]

Its a Fujifilm Finepix S1000fd. It was only 115 from Amazon. I think its pretty good for the price: 12x optical zoom, 10MP, compact & lightweight, wide angle attachment

Seen some really nice photos posted here. Was thinking about setting a 'photo projects' thread where we can all have a go at taking photos on a particular subject week-by-week?

Any interest in this? Ideas of subjects - :thumbup:

2. enc. Forum Member

Good choice of camera. ive seen good results produced from the s1000 :thumbup:

Like your photo project idea. Not much thought gone into my sugestion, but, to begin with how about pictures of our cars :lol: straight from the camera and/or photoshopped.

3. WillStandard16v Forum Member

Yeah cars or otherwise. I was thinking along the lines of a particular aperture setting or panarama or night shots.

[​IMG]

PS: I have a Toyota now anyway LOL

4. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Yes, I think that's an excellent idea, although I think it should perhaps be fortnightly or monthly, as a week is a bit short notice for people to take their photos/process them/upload them/etc (I know this from experience on another forum.)

Let's see what response you get, then get it started. Count me in :)

What I'm also involved in on a car/photograph forum (although it's probably a bit too much for this forum, where there are more car owners than photographers) is something called the '365 project'.

This involves taking a photograph every day for a year, and posting them up. It really calls for a lot of imagination at this time of the year, when it's dark at both ends of the working day. So far, I've managed not to miss one, but I'm only on day 10! :lol:

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I`ve got an earlier version of your camera (Finepix s5500).

It`s an absolutely cracking little camera, that can produce some ace pictures. :thumbup:

I like the idea of a photography `project`.

I`m just getting back into photography, so this would be ideal inspiration/motivation to get my lost skills back.

I will be getting a decent DSLR soon so this would also help with getting to know the camera.

One thing I`d say though; No Photoshop!

This should be about using the camera, and learning about how to use the settings properly.

It`s all too easy to turn a poorly composed, under/over exposed picture into a masterpiece using Photoshop. Let`s keep it purely photography.

That way people will learn to use their cameras better, and IMO that`s far more satisfying. :thumbup:

6. Winso Forum Member

I'm in, though I can see some what is/isn't a 'processed' picture type problems coming up shortly...

7. lostkat

lostkat Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah why not. I've been neglecting my 30D lately and I need to get my enthusiasm back.

8. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Crikes, Stu! You've frightened me half to death! ;) Perhaps I should move over to the Photoshop comp instead! :lol:

9. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

:lol: :lol:

Obviously Photoshop has it`s benefits as part of a photographers` tools, but I think it would be interesting/beneficial for people to see what can be done without it.

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Hardly like it would be a competition. Photoshop should be allowed, especially for processing RAW images.

11. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Could we not specify perhaps a modicum of PS, just to tweak an image to perfection, as opposed to major makeovers?

As Luke points out, RAW images especially.

12. andypaterson Forum Member

I say yes to photoshop for slight adjustments such as cropping, or levels. but as soon as people start using layers it'll get a bit silly.

13. enc. Forum Member

OK, enough interest so whats the first subject then ?

14. enc. Forum Member

hello !