Camera question, help please.

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by i.a.n.b, Jan 14, 2009.

1. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

My Nan was very into her photography in her later life but after losing sight in an eye gave up, after a 2 year battle with ill health she sadly passed away but left her camera gear to myself and my Dad, this is where you may be able to help, there seems to be so many people into there photography on here, so....

I have aquired a Canon Eos 1000n. Sure its years old as its 35mm :lol: but if any one can tell me anything about it specs/pointers on how to use it etc I'd appreciate it. Mastered using auto.:lol:

Now it has no flash, anyone point me in the direction of anything that will work with it? Cheap second hand, ebay, anything??? I don't know whats what that will work with it.:)

Also the lens, it has a zoom lense 80-200mm on it, I would like a lense that I can do normal/close pics with. As above cheap/ebay anything really, I did search for these on ebay but again I don't know what will work with it.:lol:

Any help at all would be great.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

peops will be along with some proper advice soon, but for a general lens I would go for something like a 18-70 depending what make/model etc will be slightly different numbers. I find my standard lens pretty good for most things..... way better than a compact anyway.

have fun with it, it gets addictive

3. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Sorry - I don't know enough about older cameras to help you.

You might find a bit more about it on google.

If you're lucky, you might find someone in Jessops who knows more about it and can tell you what you need. I've found that (in Nottingham, at least) they're very knowledgeable about most things. Or you might find someone at a local camera club (especially if it's like my local one, where most of them are ancient) who will be able to advise you.

I have some old stuff of my uncle's (long gone) which I keep just for sentimental value but it would be really nice if you could actually use your gran's equipment. It's not too different from digital stuff, only really the film/memory card, and probably not so much automation, but you could end up being surprised at how good it is.

Good luck with it.

4. lufbramatt Forum Member

older canon cameras are top notch. some good bargains to be had on ebay for the older lenses- id stick with canon as some of their glass is realyl good. Ive got both a Canon AE-1p and an A1 (awesome camera for its age, was made around 1979 and has full a full auto mode and a digital readout in the viewfinder) and they both take amazing photographs when laoded with decent film.

Also id find a proper Canon speedlight thats the same age as the camera as camera manufacturers often make specific flashes to go with a range of cameras so you wont have any issues with metering etc- they kinda have a communication link between the camera and the flash like OBD on a car but its different for each make of camera and flash.

worth finding a decent 2nd hand camera shop as theyll know about this type of camera and will more than likely have a pile of second hand stuff to fit it as loads of people will have gone to digital recently. Wouldnt bother with jessops tbh, theyre only one step up from PCworld employees in my experience!

Also worth getting a good book about using an SLR that also covers the basics of composition, apertures, shutter speeds etc, again easy had for a few quid from a second hand book shop, should be able to find one that suits the period of the camera so may even relate directly to the one you have.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  5. Mike_H Forum Addict

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....691095&cguid=42c8b08511d0a0aad485c1e5ff31d662

^ Instruction manual for it ^

There are lots of dealers out there who I'm sure would be happy to help you, so have a google to get hold of some.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Canon+Eos+1000n&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

If you can find an old school camera shop that's still open (not jessops), then go in and ask about them. They'll probably know a fair bit.

I'm a Nikon man myself, so can't help much further. Generally Canon cameras are very good though.

Just had an idea...

Drop this guy an email. He's an old boss of mine, who is now semi-retired, and teaches people photography. I've an idea he used to use Canon kit, but if not, he's connected to local camera clubs too. He's in Maidenhead, but might know people near you too.

He does 1:1 tuition as well as the digital photography group classes.

http://electriclandscape.com/

Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  6. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Thanks for all the good help guys, had already tryed the google hunt but so many hits its difficult to find some worthwhile info, had another search though and found plenty of spec on it. It looks a modern'ish' camera but from what I found it was made between 1992 and 1995! Need to find one of these old camera shops then, just worried about taking a punt on a lense on ebay to find it doesn't fit the body.

7. barny Forum Member

I'm sure all EOS cameras take the same lems mount. Newer lens will have feature possibly not relevent to your camera but basic features should work fine.

8. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Thanks barny, gives me a bit more confidence to have a stab and getting something.

9. lufbramatt Forum Member

yea, its the earlier FD mount lenses (non autofocus) that wont fit.