Can anyone help!?

Discussion in '8-valve' started by jackcoxer, Jul 23, 2016.

1. jackcoxer New Member

Hi All,

Right, basically my car's been in and out of garages in the past few months (Mk3 GTi 8V) because I'm having an issue with coolant getting pumped through the system.

It's had a new water pump, 2 different thermostats, radiators been off and there's no blockages in there and the coolant still isn't getting pushed through the system.

The temperature gauge on the dashboard sits at 90 degrees once it's warmed up but I know that the engines way hotter then that, the coolant is just sitting there and not getting hot.

Has anyone had anything similar? Or have any ideas as to what the problem can be because i'm currently at a loss and I can't keep affording to have work done on the car that isn't making any difference.

Cheers,

Jack

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

If the coolant gauge sits at 90 after warm up, you car is working perfect.
    I would be worried the gauge started to creep up to 100! Mk3 cars tend to main very very stable coolant temps at 90 deg C.
    I know this first hand from running 1.8 Auto, 2.0 AGG GTI, 2.0 16v ABF and my old dragon green VR6.

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

doesnt sound like you have a problem if the gauge is steady and its not boiling over

4. tom1989 Forum Member

What's making you think it's hotter than the gauge is saying? Does a mk3 8v gti have MFA? If so, what's the oil temperature getting to?

Are the radiator hoses getting hot and does it feel like there's water in all the hoses? Can the heater blow hot when the engine is up to temperature? Does the radiator feel like it's getting hot when the engine is hot? Are you getting a trickle of water though the little hose that goes to the top of the expansion tank?