can i retrim my own seats?

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by waynos, Oct 29, 2003.

1. waynos Forum Member

is it hard to take the material off of mk1 gti seats?mine are looking pretty sh*te and could do with retrim.

2. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Its not impossible. But its one of those things that needs practise.

How are you with a sewing machine. The hardest part is getting the piping and taughtness (real word??) of the material right.

3. waynos Forum Member

i wouldnt be sewing it, id get my mum 2 help me out with that! lol ;) . i jus need to kno if the old material can be taken off without being destroyed. is it easier to retrim in cloth, vinyl or leather?

4. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

its quite easy to take the material off, i put mine through the wash on a 40 deg, they cam out lurvelly, lust take your time, and let them dry slowly.

5. Admin Guest

once you take your seat out you'll see how easy it is to take apart, take your time, no really! be real slow in the way you remove the covers, you can then cover the little tabs and stick it in the washing machine.

if you then decide to make a new cover, you'll need some very durable material etc....just use the old cover as a template.

6. waynos Forum Member

ok.does anyone know where i could get seat fabric from n how much it roughly costs? eg normal fabric, vinyl or leather

7. md8v Forum Member

8. md8v Forum Member

have you thought of buying a second hand complete interior?

9. MK3_GPP Forum Member

You done a good job there [8D]

10. waynos Forum Member

your interior looks smart md8v.i want to do the same thing, but with black n red material. where abouts in wembly is this material place? do they sell to the public? and what are their prices like?

11. md8v Forum Member

boyriven, tel. 020 8902 9581
    (not advertising, i'm not gettin anything out of it, just trying to help out)

i just phoned them up saying i wanted some black and grey fabric, they sent me samples of what they had in stock. picked the ones i wanted and placed the order, was delivered 2 days later. The stuff i got was 3+vat per metre, (they come on rolls a little under 2m wide i think) then it was 8.50 for delivery. This was about a year ago so dont know what it would be now. i bought 9m of black and 7m of grey. used most of the black but had a few trial runs but only really used a couple of metres of the grey.

As i said in the first post, buy enough as they might not have any left afterwards, and also allow for mistakes, its not that easy! I just had a go as i had nothing to loose, i had no trim on my seats anyway so needed something!have fun! [:^:]