Can my Insurance do this???

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Gareth83, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

I set up a trade policy recently and paid the 930 premium in full, I then had to send my driving licence through (fairs fair)

They then queried my date of birth today (1 month on) and reckon that the date of birth they have on the system is 1956 when in fact it is 1983 so have no idea where they got that from!!!

As such they advised the revised premium is 1200 odd and I owe them a further 300!!

As a gesture of goodwill they will waiver 200 of that and not make any commision although I would have to pay the 100 increase.

Can they do that due to their mistake????

When I originally set it up in September they advised I'd need to set it up now or premiums were going up in October.

The broker in question is Lionheart. They advised if I don't pay the extra I can cancel within 7 days (probably with some form of charge)

What should I do???

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

yes they can do that but what age dose it say on your policy 28 or 55
    if it has your age on the policy as 28 i dont think they have a leg to stand on
    and tell them so
    if it 55 then it was up to you to check it and tell them it wrong
    it will be in the small print

3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds like *******s to me!!!

4. shipleym701 Forum Member

Did you do it over the phone?
    I would have thought the FSA would make them record all their calls.

Ask them to listen/send you a copy of the call.
    It will probbo go one of 2 ways:

1. They send you a copy of the call and you say "my DOB is 01/01/1983", the salesman will say "did you say 1956?", you say "yes thats right". In which case 100 sounds pretty reasonable.

OR

2. They will listen to the call and you will say "my DOB is 01/01/1983", Salesman will say "1983 yeah?" and you say "yup". In this case it is their operators fault for typing the wrong DOB and you will have grounds to fight any charges. If this is the case though you prob wont be sent a recording, that only happens if they are proving it was your mistake.

Hope this helps, unless you did it in an office... in which case you can ignore all previous advice!
    Good Luck!