Can someone remind me why i bought another VW?

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by Deako, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Car is dead. Had ongoing issues with the Scirocco since we bought it. Been to the dealership 5 times for various warranty work.

Not been happy with the DSG since it was last fixed. Clutch packs were replaced after i thought it needed new mechatronics.

Last night, pulled out of a junction. Car decided to drop up/down the gears erratically. Then the emissions warning light came on and was flashing, EPC turned on as well. Car was running in limp home mode. Barely sounding like it was running on 2 cylinders.

Pulled over. Restarted the car to try and clear it. Wouldnt clear. Still sounding like a dog.

Managed to nurse the car home. Car stank of fuel.

This morning, called VW. They have no courtesy cars till Wednesday. (We go on holiday next Friday, needed a car this weekend to carry out last minute jobs). My grandfather is also in hospital after breaking his hip, but also has bladder distention, chronic kidney disease and an enlarged prostate, as well as blood pressure thats all over the place. Great! [:^(]

RAC wont just recover the car to VW. They have to try and fix the fault first. So had to call them out to "attempt" a fix first. Then hopefully, they will recover the car to the dealership.

At the point where im thinking of asking for the car to be taken back by the company we bought it from. Just over 3 months now though.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

If it were possible to just get your money back or a new car entirely then at this point I think I would do.

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Thats why i'd never buy the first model of a new car. Always wait a few years as they supersede all the rubbish bits.

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

This kinda sheit is annoying.

Pull the 8v out the garage :thumbup:

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Well, in spite of my ranting, my faith has been changed in at least the RAC this morning.

Fault diagnosed, its a coil pack. But the car would not start at all last night and all morning.

RAC guy has been an absolute star. Drives a black Edition 30 himself.

Has diagnosed the fault, but offered me 3 options.

1. Fix the part, and charge the cost.
    2. Recover the car to the dealership.

or

3. Call VW assistance, see if they will come out and replace the part under warranty.

He really didnt need to offer number 3, and has gone out of his way to call back to RAC headquarters, and get one of the VW assistance technicians to see if they have the part on board, and if not, pick one up on the way and come and fit it.

So at this stage, it looks like we should have it back up and running in the next couple of hours.

However, im still not happy with the gearbox, and will be getting it booked back into the dealership asap. When the gearbox is hot, it still has the mechatronics/clutch related symptoms.

6. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

Sorry to hear about your troubles, nice that the RAC guy was a VW man and very helpful, over the years Iv found the AA to be amazing, one guy offered to lend me his alternator off his Mk2 which was about 40miles from where I broke down when I was on the way to the ring the first time. Good luck with the car, just imagine if you didnt have the extended warrenty!

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

We dont have an extended warranty yet. :) Its not even 3 years old. We will be extending though. Fantastic getting a VW nutter as your breakdown man though.

8. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I've heard nothing but problems from DSG boxes, sounds like you need to pull out the proper Scirocco.

9. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Damn you have some bad luck Luke!
    Do you know the history of the car?

My dad has just bought a new van with DSG, Not sure i like it.
    At least it makes up my mind not to go for a Polo GTI now[:^(]

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

DSG is awesome. Love it to bits. Know the history, as we bought it from work.

Not a problem if the car is under warranty.

Polo GTI is great with DSG. :)

11. Admin Guest

I had a great AA man when my caddy broke down on a freezing cold night and yet again the AA call center had fcked up with my location. Firstly he knew exactly where I was, which was sadly 20miles from where the call center had placed me. Came out and found the problem straight away, gave the car a tune up in the dark by the road side[:$]:lol::thumbup: Was glad to have an old car to work on as it was quick to fault find that new ones. got me up and running as soon as he could and on my way.

Sad news on the rocco, didn't know they could be so problematic

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Did you pimp out Club GTI to him? :thumbup:

13. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Well, its not the coil pack, or the spark plug.

Cylinder 3 still has a misfire.

Tried to compression test it and the compression was low, but this could be because of the bore wash effect of the fuel in the cylinder.

Car needs to still go to the dealership. No car for the whole of this bank holiday weekend now. Also means the car will not get looked at until Tuesday at the least. Depressing!!!

14. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

sorry to hear this
    my neighbor had the same problem with her scirocco and a misfire in the end it was one of the valves
    they fitted a new head under warranty
    good luck

ps matt dont get a polo gti just yet my mate has one and it is using oil and so are a lot of them
    over a liter of oil every 1000 miles and he has been told that a good one hmm

15. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Thinking it might be something similar. Car has now been delivered to the dealership. Need to wait till Tuesday before i can speak to anyone.

16. Admin Guest

thats diesel consumption:o

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Just to answer the original Q, it's because you owned French pish and it was going rusty!

18. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

It still drove better, went round corners better, had more options on as standard. And never skipped a beat in the 10 months we owned it. But you are right, all the cheap components to keep the price low were starting to rust.

19. danster Forum Addict

Au contraire, the common factor is over use of valves.

Deako was foolish and bought in to the modern dream, it is now common knowledge that all things new are pish. Take some solace that it would not have mattered what make of new car you bought. And take even more solace that you own an original Rocco. More of a man's car than these ghey / hairdresser / so called modern Roccos.

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Pfft, when Scirocco Mk1 owners stood on looking a the Mk2 Scirocco owners, do you know what they tutted between themselves?

:lol:

Or in that particular case, over weight!