Can you help with these fault codes my diesel keeps throwing

Discussion in 'Diesel' started by Sully114, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Sully114 Forum Member

Ok so my 2006 Jetta TDI 1.9 engine code BKC/BXE car keeps going into limp mode, probably about 3-4 times on a 40 mile daily trip. I pluged it into vagcom last night and I got these codes:

P161B
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/P161B/005659

P161C
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/P161C/005660

P0299
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16683/P0299/000665

Ive checked all the wiring and vacum lines and everything appears to be fine, I phoned up vw about a replacement N75 valve which relates the P0299 code, but they say my car does not have one? seems strange as vagcm tells me it does...
    As car does not have any cold starting issues or missfires. It just seems to be a little sluggish, like the turbo is not dishing out the full beans...

Any suggestions where I should look next or which parts I should replace...

2. m1keh Forum Member

Your car may have a valve unit which contains all of the valves like egr and n75 combined in one.

What is the history of the car? Any turbo replacements?

3. Sully114 Forum Member

Thanks for the reply, Ive had it from new and have not had any trouble with the turbo so far. Ive recently had to repair some wiring by the starter moter as it was touching the lower rad hose, which eventually burnt through it. I leant the car to my brother for a few months and he overfilled it with oil, which gunked the throttle body up quite badly. I also noticed the exhaust manifold was caked with thick oil but couldnt really get to it to clean it up... Apart from that it hasnt really given me to much grief so far. Its always been serviced regular by me and its done 130k to date..

4. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

does the actuator in the turbo move..could be gunked up

5. Sully114 Forum Member

Im pretty sure Ive check this but I will have another look to make sure.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Any idea how much extra oil it had put in it? If it was chucking a load of oil out the breathers, which is then burnt, and shoved down the exhaust, then the resulting oily sooty mess could gum up the EGR / valve pack maybe?

I'm no expert on diesels, only having owned one for a few months, but that's an idea. Maybe take off the EGR / valve pack and have a clean up?

7. Sully114 Forum Member

Yea I think he overfilled it quite badly, the throttle body and air intake had loads of oil in it. Ive decided im gonna have the engine out over the xmas break and give it all a good clean and going over as its going into gimp mode every ten minuites or so now and properly doing my head in:lol:

8. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

Glow plugs faulty?

the turbo actuator likley to be seizing, make sure the arm does actually move - works via negitive pressure