Canon IXUS 90 or something else?

Discussion in 'Photography - general' started by brushdaft, Sep 8, 2008.

1. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

I've had an old Canon IXUS V2 (2MP[:$] ) for a few years now and it's starting to show it's age, so I'm going to buy another camera, I've been looking on various sites for ideas and reviews and am quite tempted by an IXUS 90, but I'm open to any recommendations you might have as I don't really have a clue what to look for.

I've got 175 (maximum) and just want something easy to use that gives OK quality photo's.

Cheers, Leon.

2. 91davidw Forum Member

Ixus 90 gets my vote, brilliant camera!!!

Cheers
    David

3. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

4. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

Cheers guys, I've just bought a IXUS 90 for 172 from Jessops online which seemed like a good price, and I can pick it up from the shop in town today.

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I've had three Canon Ixus models, and they're all nice little cameras, so you won't go far wrong with one of those.

Mate has the Lumix and is thrilled to bits with it. Takes some really nice photos, but I haven't used it myself, so don't know how good it is.

But with compacts (I carry mine in my bag all the time, so I don't miss anything good when I've not got my DSLR with me) they all drive me nuts with the shutter lag, and the writing to the card lag!

Guess if you're not used to a DSLR, you might not notice, but once you've had one, you'd never go back to compacts for serious photography. (Sorry if that sounds a bit patronising, don't mean it to be. Guess it's like the difference between driving, say, a Golf and a Paxo!)

6. Mikey C Forum Member

i've just bought a TZ-5 off the bay for about 180, really nice camera. Check out the pics in my ring trip post.

There have only been one or two difficult pics where i have missed the adjustability of an SLR (had a film one), and the shutter lag is a limiting factor. I am shocked at how good the image stabilisation is - the shutter speeds you can go to is amazing. The best thing is you can put it in your pocket!
    Mike

7. brushdaft

brushdaft Forum Member

I was really tempted by a TZ-5 but the cheapest I could find one that I could pick up today was 215 (I'm no good at waiting for things to arrive in the post[:$] ), pics look great too Mikey.

One day I would love to get a DSLR, I know exactly what you mean Stella, back in the olden days I used to have a "normal" SLR so I'm sure I would be amazed at the quality of the new DSLR cameras, it's just the cost of them that I couldn't justify at the moment, my original budget was around 100 and that crept up to 200 by the time I'd bought a larger SD card, one day though....[:^(] :lol:

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  8. grozzy15 Forum Member

I did the Ebay route for my Lumix TZ-5, 180 including a floppy case, 4 GB SDHC card, spare battery & case, mini tripod, screen & lens cleaning kit delivered! 2 day wait.. Got a hard case for 1.99 from Ebay too!

Top camera for the price!! Really great features, 9.1MP & 10x Optical zoom!! To mention only two!! Leica lens is mint. Highly recommended!! :thumbup: