Car cutting out when fully warm - help

Discussion in '8-valve' started by gti_kev, Feb 14, 2007.

1. gti_kev Forum Member

No worries :)

There was no loss of voltage arcoss the alternator to bat either so i know the leads are fine aswell!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Theres a voltage on both wires, and if there is a problem the sensor earths to the block, or the sensors are always earthed and if theres a problem they stop, one way or the other:lol:
    If the high pressure sensor is unplugged, the light & buzzer should come on over 2k rpm, I'm not sure what happens if the low pressure sensor is unplugged, I think the light just comes on?

3. gti_kev Forum Member

Thanks, well mines not playing ball then :( will check the wiring tomorrow!

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Worth throwing another pair on, plentifull in the scrappy. I remember someone saying MK1 senders are the other way round for some reason, but I assume this is only true of early ones.
    (by that I mean on a MK2 the high pressure wire is yellow, and low is blue, but on a MK1 the yellow is low and the high is blue)

5. rupe Forum Member

I had a problem with my citi when it had the old 1.8 with a keihin carb, it would start to stutter and then eventually die, not much fun in the outside lane of the motorway! Fuel wasn't getting to the carb, I bypassed the accumulator the little pot in between the pump and the carb and that solved it. I cut the accumulator in half afterwards assuming it was blocked but it wasn't, so was a bit of a mystery.
    Like I said it was fine after getting rid of the accumulator, only thing is it took a few more turns on the starter to get it going when it was hot to get the fuel through. Got to be worth a try and mr rubjonny that was me on about the wires being different I assume kev's will be the same seeing as it's a citi aswell.

:)

6. gti_kev Forum Member

Thanks guyz, well i was coming to work this mornig assuming she would do the same as it was raining and very damp! But nothing no stuttering at all! - real mystery!

I know the sensor on the side is a yellow wire and i think the sensor on the oil filter housing is blue, so it would be the opposite!

Rupe now i know you had a citi i may be bugging you :) LoL

Thanks for the tip with the accumulator, i thought that's what that little pot thing was :)

I put her second tank full of fuel yesterday and stuck some redex in aswell, feels a bit smother but that's in mind head probablly!

I'll keep this updated i think, hopefully it will not happen again, but it's me, so it will!

Thanks