Car not running even after reverting to good map

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by G60KG, Oct 27, 2012.

1. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Does it uses a different baud rate? Have you tried another laptop?

2. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

After I noticed I couldnt get the car running when using the newer laptop I switched to the old laptop with proper serial cable. The flickering dials stoped but still the same issue with the car. Also when using megatune I use the 2nd project something along the lines of '029y????' and it has come up with config errors. Could this also be an issue? maybe all the 'good map' settings are not being burnt onto the ecu?

3. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I have had a problem when doing some tuning and just turning of the laptop. The car would start and die. I would have to burn up an old map before it would start again, then make changes. It wouldnt allow me to burn the last saved tune. May be down to corruption.

are you not using tunerstudio? I find it alot easier to use. Has a better GUI

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

To be honest I have not really got up to scratch on the whole thing to try different programs. I finally plucked up the courage to try and adjust warm up settings and this happens lol. Not sure where to go with this one.

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

The collapsing VAC line is very plausible. The car feels a bit like mine did when I'd moved the ECU to the glovebox, but accidentally pinched the vac line because of the way I'd mounted it. Mine wasn't nearly as bad as yours though - maybe your vac line is more collapsed than mine. That could explain some readings still making sense... but doesn't entirely explain how it first happened, unless it's because you moved the ECU in the process of tweaking the map.

I can bring over the silicon hose from mine and we can double check if that solves the problem, as mine doesn't have a head on it at the minute. I'm not 100% convinced, but it's quick and easy to try. Or have you got any 3mm ID silicon hose?

Laptop settings also worth a look I think.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  6. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Should have been a standard move to put 3mm id silicone

7. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Is this silicone tube to replace the rubber pipes which connect to the hard white plastic vac lines? Can i get some from halfords etc or internet?

8. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

http://bit.ly/XgcZh9

Silicone Vacuum ASH Hose Pipe - Silicon Water Air Coolant Dump Valve Radiator

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

cheers for the link, I ordered green [xx(]

10. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

can someone please advise if the ECU has any hard settings which need to be changed manually and would not be part of a map flashed onto it. Reason I ask is that I tried to get the car running on another MS ecu with the good map loaded but it would not start with that ECU.

11. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Maybe your map is corrupt.

12. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

If the map was corrupt then an emailed version of the same map from an external source (Eddie) wouldnt be corrupt right? I also tried flashing even older versions of a working map still no joy.

13. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Guess not then. Either you need to see if there is a problem with your wiring or there is a mechanical problem on your car.

Was the other ecu configured (trigger and spark output)to run your car ?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  14. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Not sure how the other ecu was configured, i guess thats what I mean by settings not governed by the map. Can the trigger and spark be set by megatune or is that dependent on how the ecu was built?

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

I'll check settings for my car and we can see what's different from yours. Should be the same or very close, as they're both Mapped on Map Sensor + TPS, with a distributor as the ignition trigger.

16. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Cheers Mike. I really need to up my understanding on megasquirt can't afford to get this stuck

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

This is the point with MS. The user really needs to understand it. Building it from the start helps you get that.

Every MS can have a different setup. I use distributor but I use an internal ignitor to feed the coil. I also use the crank wheel as a trigger, where as alot if people use a 4 window dizzy.

You need to know what you have to faultfind your problem.

18. Admin Guest

Well said, that's the double edge sword of MS, it can be made to be a very useful tool or a misunderstood piece of junk!

Hope you get it sorted soon, I have no new input but would head the advice already given and go look at wiring and components, if you have tried a different identical ECU without luck, maybe one of those has failed. Failing that have you looked at your ECU board for any faults? Any burnt out components?

I have just had a hefty bill today at work to pay for fitting of a new PCB to the laser cutter, looking at the PCB board there is one burnt out capacitor that would cost pennies for me to replace as apposed to the hundreds paid today.....

19. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I swapped over the 3mm ID silicone pipes and its still the same. I tested the map sensor by blowing/sucking on it and its fine no irratic readings. Graph below I tried to keep the idle stable then it shot up out of control.

[​IMG]

20. Mike_H Forum Addict

So if you suck on the pipe at different levels can you get a full range of readings from the MAP sensor 30kpa up to 95 ish at open to the atmosphere?