Car that backfires and wont start

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by Ebie, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Ebie New Member

Hi i have a 1600mk1 golf and encounted a problem, i drove the car for a while and whent to the shop as i came back i got in the car and started the car as i drove the car started to jurk and cut out then i started again and the same thing happened a view times. then i checked the distributer and found that my cable that runs from the modulater to the distributer cap was faulty so i got a new 1 put it on and the car would not start. i have a faulty ignition so i have to turn the key back everytime i start the car. while trying to start the car the rev counter needle would jump up and down. i changed the modulater and distributer cap and when i try starting the car it woul just swing and backfire then cut out. could you please help as i don know what it could be. i was told it was the modulater, distributer, distributer cap and the ignition. oh forgot i changed the spark plugs and plug cables to. im lost and been without a car for 2 weeks now and have to use public transport during winter.[:^(] not good

please help

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

is ypour ignition timing set right?

3. Collie Forum Junkie

dizzy cap sat correctly? dizzy shifted?

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Go back to basics. Take the rocker cover off. Position no.1 cylinder with both cam lobe up. confirm no.1 is at at top dead centre. See where the rotor arm is pointing. Make that plug lead no. 1. Crank the starter. See which way it turns. Verify the firing order is 1 3 4 2. You should then know the cam is correct to the piston, the dizzy rotor arm is pointing to no1 HT lead, the next cylinder is fired 90 dizzy degrees in the correct direction of rotation.
    This has worked for me..

5. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Yea, I'm with Jon on this one.

Regarding the jumping rev needle, is your rocker cover earth intact?

Gurds

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds liek the hall sender has packed in, dodgy spark plus dappy rev counter are symptoms of this

7. Ebie New Member

im not sure as to what is wrong as i dont have the time to have a look untill the weekend, car is parked at my moms place and the time i get home its dark, will have a look the weekend but thanks allot for your info will def. use what you told me

8. Ebie New Member

thanks guys did the basics and the car started and drove it for a while then it cut out again, but i found out what the problem is, its the car alarm system that messing around. so now i need to get a auto electrition to check it out. thanks for everything guys