Car trolley

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Nordoff, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Got a load of mixed box section sitting in the shed and some castor wheels from dubfreeze today.
    I'm looking for idea's in designs for plonking cars on so they can be moved around while being messed with.

My first thought is getting the car sitting on the trolley on the sills but getting it under would be tricky as I'd want to just lift one side before sliding it under.
    Second idea is jack one side, slide trolley under and somehow spread the weight on the trolley before lifting the other side and doing the same but not sure how that'd work.
    My third idea is to just handing it all to powernut for 5 minutes while the rest of the forum argues over the castor wheel bearing strength....

2. paul_c Forum Member

I did mine and used the bumper mounts for support. This is a good area as its unlikely to rust and is out the way of everywhere you're likely to want to get to. If you need to do the rear panel area, can put the car back on its wheels etc. I didn't use castors but welded some plates, then bolted on a pair of stub axles, rear drums, wheels, etc so its quite handy.

3. Nordoff Forum Junkie

Hmmmm, I have some alfa romeo hubs, If only I hadn't sold the alloys I could have it rolling on 17's.
    Now I think of it I have front and rear mk1 hubs too.

My thought is now and then when I want to strip down a donor car I have to wait till it's on the lorry before I can grab everything that holds the wheels on.
    If it's all stripped down and still movable without ripping up the brick paving it's much easier.

Why can I see this turning into something from scrapheap challenge?[:s]