Carb problems

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by The Craig, Apr 13, 2007.

1. The Craig Forum Member

My cars been leaking fluids now for a while. I'm pretty sure its a mixture of coolant and petrol. Stained the driveway pretty nicely anyway :lol: I think its coming from the carb. Is this a common problem? A friend of mine has the same make of carb on her nova and its doing the same thing by the looks of it. Jsut wanted to know what the usual procedure is and how much it will cost. Been looking at Webers but cant afford 230 odd right now

2. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

What car/carb?

If it's the Pierburg 2E2, I believe they may be a bit prone to corrosion of the autochoke waterpipe stubs, leading to leaks there. See the picture in a thread started yesterday about this carburettor, does yours look like that?

My waterpipe stubs had corroded so badly, one had almost disappeared. New housing about 60, I think. (But I got a secondhand one that was in better nick and reconditioned that bit, and swapped over).

I guess insufficient attention to the coolant (which degrades over time) probably causes this damage.

Pete

3. The Craig Forum Member

Yeah I'm pretty sure its the Pierburg 2e2. Thanks for the advice. Was it a hard job to do?

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

The thread I meant was this one: http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123456

Replacing just the water housing is slightly tricky, as they get well 'gummed on there'. but if you buy a whole new choke housing I think you get the elctrical heater bit and the bi-metallic bit as well, which is just three screws to detach/replace the whole chunk. If you did try to just change the water-housing bit you'll need new o-rings too, as well as a 'better' water housing bit.

Pete