Carbon canister, Purge Valve (N80?) and ECU adaptation...

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by joeshaw123, May 10, 2016.

1. joeshaw123 New Member

Hi,

Currently doing a mk2 VR6 swap with an OBD2 VR6 motor from a '96 mk3. I've done the swap on a couple of mk2s before but I am determined to do a nice, tidy, OE looking one this time as my last one was a bit of a bodge job due to one reason or another!

My question is - Can I remove the carbon canister and pipework? I know this has been queried a million times on various forums but the reason I ask is because I think the ECU loses the ability to save its learned values for fuelling/timing etc if the purge valve is registered as a fault code if its not working or not fitted.

If I remove the CC but keep the purge valve plumbed in, will the ECU just carry on as normal and not register a fault? As far as I can tell it just clicks open and closed so can't tell if any of the pipework is actually present or not.

Cheers.

2. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

On EU/RoW VR6 cars, removal of the purge valve leaves the output stage without resistance and will flag a fault, thus shutting off the purge feature.
    This will not affect fuel adaptives, if the line is shut off anyway.

3. joeshaw123 New Member

So I can remove the charcoal canister and pipework and vent the tank breather to atmosphere.

As for the purge valve, I need to leave it plugged in to avoid a fault code as I'm running a standard ECU so the purge line is still there in the software - is this correct? Many thanks.

4. Toyotec

N80 can be turned off via software.

joeshaw123 likes this.
  5. joeshaw123 New Member

I'd assume I'll need a custom chip to do that or is it as trivial as a vagcom job?

6. Toyotec

New engine map.