Carburettor-ECU problem

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by stromkreis, Jan 13, 2014.

1. stromkreis New Member

Hi all,

I have 1990 golf 1.6 petrol (carburetor) with automatic transmission. I have a cold start problem. My carburettor is electronic supported i think it is pierbur 2E2 but not sure. Technician said this is not carburettor problem. He says control signal does not come from ECU. When he applied 12 v to a terminal choke is closed. But it is always open [:s] Anyone has same problem? Here is my ecu;

[​IMG]

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

It probably your waxstat. Or supply to it. check fuses.

Edit.

Is it single point injection??

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

EZ-Pete is your man for this one, he had lots of information on the 2e2 carb lambda retrofit kit

4. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Your carb will be a 2EE if it has an ECU. Do a Google image search for 2E2 and 2EE to see the differences. Much more of the 2EE is electric/electronic.
    ECU's are usually extremely reliable, so I would check wiring to the non-working part instead of blaming the ECU itself.

I don't think the 2EE was ever supplied in UK Golfs, so you may do better with a German forum if we can't find the problem. Do you have photos of the carb? Of the part that isn't working?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  5. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Pierburg carb with ECU? Ha, that's a totally new one on me!

6. stromkreis New Member

I looked for 2EE. But i am not sure my carb is 2EE. Because i have no terminal which is circeled in image. I will add my carb photos ASAP
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
  7. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

New one on me too. Interesting stuff :thumbup:

8. stromkreis New Member

Sorry for my late reply my car was repairing. EZ_Pete you are right my carburettor is 2EE. Today i realized a part of my carburettor which i circulated in the picture is missing :( and its terminal socket is in the air. Can i find this part of carburettor? What is its function?

9. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

That's the drosselklappen ansteller (butterfly valve controller?), not surprisingly abbreviated to DKA on German forums, it seems. Not sure about my translation of that into English.

It looks like it does the same job as the 3-point unit on a 2e2 carb. That is, it positions the primary throttle plate at the best angle for starting the engine, and then whenever the driver's foot is not on the accelerator pedal, maintains automatically a minimum engine speed. It probably also fully closes the throttle to help the engine stop cleanly when the ignition is switched off.

It looks like something that would be rather expensive to buy new, if available at all, but there must be some on Ebay.de I should think.

Here's one http://www.ebay.de/itm/Drosselklapp...242223664?pt=DE_Autoteile&hash=item35d71c5030 but it seems like that 99Euro price would go up to 149Euro if you don't have an exchange one to send back to that seller. Must be cheaper ones around, but no guarantee about whether they work, I guess. I did see a listing for a repair kit for the DKA for 39Euro, from the same seller, so maybe buy a cheap one and fix it yourself if it doesn't work?

Good luck!