Cat C Insurance Write Off - Scirocco GT

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Genome, May 14, 2010.

1. Genome

Genome Forum Member

Hello there,

Basically, I'm just looking for a bit of guidance. My bro had a smash in his first car - an '89 Scirocco GT which was subsequently written off by the insurers. I think its a Cat C write off, judging by the damage which is quite minimal. The driver's side Headlight got smashed, as well as the indicator and fog light. It also needs a new bumper and new wing, possibly a driver's side door also.

Just wondering what our course of action should be now? Never had to deal with an insurance claim before. We have got the car back, but it doesn't have its log book or service history with it. Plus, for some reason the driver's side lock has been taken out.

What do we have to do to make the car road legal again?

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Why on earth claim on insurance for it in the first place? You're much better off just paying for the replacement parts out of pocket and having a car that's not registered as a Cat C.

What happened with the log book and history - did you originally give this paperwork to the insurance company?

3. AndyOut Forum Member

With Cat C stuff the logbook is always sent back to the DVLA by the insurance company involved, The vehicle needs to go to a VOSA office after its repair for a vehicle identity check (VIC )to make sure it hasn't been "rung" or stolen parts used to repair it. This of course will cost you money!!!

4. Genome

Genome Forum Member

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure why a claim was made in the first place. I'm posting to try and get information for my brother as he doesn't have access to the internet atm. I know that a whiplash claim was made because it was a hit and run and the police had to get involved, so that could have something to do with it.

We're currently trying to source parts for the car, but we're just wondering what process we have to go through now. Obviously we have to rectify the faults, but does it need to be MOT'ed again or do we have to get a garage to check it or something?

5. nealey Forum Junkie

You just need to take it for a vic check and then reapply for the v5

IIRC vic check is around 40 and v5 is around 25

6. geeteethree Forum Member

I recently put a Cat C car back on the road.

MOT is invalidated by Cat C, so new test required. VIC at local VOSA centre was 41.

Job-jobbed, no real hassle :thumbup:

Cheers, Grant

7. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

if you bought the car back from the insurance then its reasonable to assume you would be given it back exactly as they took it. I'd be hastleing them for a new lock and the return of the service history.

its only a few quids worth but it all adds up

8. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

The car doesn`t have to be repaired prior to the VIC, since it`s only an identity check, not a roadworthiness check. :thumbup:

(Though it would be advisable to at least fit a new headlight first, in case you get a tug on the way there or back)

9. Genome

Genome Forum Member

Yeah, its a bit weird that the door had the lock taken out, but it also had a half a tank of petrol and a charged battery. So swings and roundabouts really. Still, bit strange.

Well that sounds like good news. The headlight switches on etc, but the glass is just smashed. We'll just have to look for somebody breaking a Scirocco nearby.

10. andyneedham2 Forum Member

Nice to see you keeping a roc on the road!

There's loads of lights and bumpers and other bits for sale on the register forum...

http://sciroccoregisterforum.co.uk/

these gents will be happy to help.

Andy

11. turbotommy Forum Member

Not all cat C cars need a VIC check and there is a number to ring to find out if it needs one.
    Also,the 40.00 fee includes a V5.

12. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I dont think you need to get a vic done in a hurry anyway if you are the registered owner but if you were the new keeper or wanted to sell the car on then you would need one because without it dvla will not issue a log book. This was taken from advice received over the phone from dvla.

13. pipster Forum Member

I think you've got to get the VIC check done before DVLA will allow you to Tax OR Sorn it !

14. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

True, but if you`re not a hurry to tax it (ie, it`s got a few months left) then there`s no need to do the VIC straight away either.