Catch tank designs the good the bad and the other...

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Admin, Jan 25, 2013.

1. TSR 2.1 Forum Member

smudge that there is some very fine welding you are putting out.

Yes you can lose a lot of the day watching this sort of thing on youtube

I really would love a TIG and it is next on the shopping list I think.

2. Admin Guest

Thanks, it's good fun learning to TIG, I have wanted to do it for years!

3. Admin Guest

Finished and fitted the tank. Will see how it works over the summer.

[​IMG]

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

maybe a silly question but is the vertical bit on the front a level to see how much oil has been collected? Also nice welding, I've been wanting to get some kit for a while to play with but just not happen yet, I also still get a little confused with the different types and applications of welding.

5. Admin Guest

Yep, the vertical tube is so that I can read the oil level and therefore empty the tank before it gets to full.

6. thegave Forum Member

Yes, the Mann-Hummel ProVent. I want me one of these.

But nice work, Tom. Wouldn't mind rocking one of those myself.

7. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Hadn`t seen the welding on this, your build thread update prompted me to look.

Mate, I`m impressed ! Ali welding is hard enough, never mind if you`re learning to TIG at the same time. I take my hat off to you, it`s something I can`t do.

8. Admin Guest

Cheers Nige, to be fair I have found the whole learning curve fairly flat, it's not really that difficult to get started with TIG, just follow the guides and advice out there, it will however take time and practice to get neat welds. And time is always short! But I will try and put in as much practice as I can at work.

9. The_bug Forum Member

Has anybody ever tried a large inlet/outlet airline filter, as i've never seen it done?

They are extremely high throughput so never going to be a restriction, rated to high pressures and are designed to pickup water/oil down to 1m or less with no pressure drop. The one I got my hands on is a little overkill I think with a throughput of 159cfm at 16bar but i'm still thinking about how to mount it and where to plumb it in. How much air is expected to flow through these things anyway? all my research points to bigger the better...

It's sort of a pet project as well at the moment as im sick of oily deposits on my steering rack (where my 'breather' leads) lol