CEL, Oil Light, Cylinder misfire - HELP!

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by SafferYork, Dec 11, 2016.

1. SafferYork New Member

Hi all.

My check engine light came on. Checked it on vagcom - misfire on cylinder 3. Replaced the plugs, the leads and the ignition coil. Didnt help with the CE light. Came on after about a day after being reset.

The yellow oil light then came on. I stopped, checked the oil and it was at a decent level, not under filled. I then topped it up to max. CE light went out! Whats up with that? Check on Vagcom, cleared the old codes, drove for a couple of days and no CE light.

Then a few days ago, CE light came back on - same issue - misfire cylinder 3. About a day later, the yellow oil light came on again.

Same story, oil was still at a decent level, topped up to max, CEL gone!

Any help on this one??

Mk4 2.0 2002 GTi.

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye that's how the oil light works normally when it drops to the bottom mark or between the mid and bottom
    though when filled to the max it should last a fair while
    the misfire could a injector or wiring fault do you have the fault code written down
    also what did the old plug look like
    could be worth checking the compression to check they are the same across all 4 cylinders

3. SafferYork New Member

At idle, I can feel a little rumble, but nothing while driving. I can hear a tappet tick with the bonnet open.
    Plugs look fine, burning good, not damaged, not black.

P0300 - Random Cylinder Misfire Detected
    P0303 - Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected

Before I topped up, it was in the middle of the dipstick, between min and max.
    Cant afford a pressure test right now unfortunately.

I did find something interesting about a misfire here - https://www.reddit.com/r/Cartalk/comments/2blq0r/2004_vw_golf_nearconstant_cylinder_4_misfires_all/ - "Is the misfire associated with a loud, mechanical "clicking" or "tapping" noise? If so you need to consider a weak hydraulic lifter, and this goes hand-in-hand with oil pressure"

4. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Could be that or the oil pump strainer is starting to get blocked