Chances of good luck? Accumulator housing

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by dub303, Mar 26, 2016.

1. dub303 Forum Member

Car is 1990 mk2 16v KR.

Problem is advisory on accumulator/pump housing leaking. I read up enough to find out they are obsolete, and that the screws that hold the pump in place rust, then split the housing.

Does mine look like it's split, or (hopefully) is it just a new pump seal needed?

I'm going to have all hoses/pipes and everything else replaced as they look rotten! Just scared that housings are impossible to get hold of new. Or are they?

Cheers
    probably not brave enough to do myself seeing as it's fuel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

you won't know till you get the pump out
    the nearest screw looks ok but one on the other side looks to have next to no head

3. dub303 Forum Member

Thanks for the reply. None of my photos show it any better (took on my back in road). I'm hoping it's covered in oil or Grease and perfect underneath. ????

If they were cracked, would more fuel be leaking out? Just want to judge it best I can before getting my garage to drop it all. They know about the parts being hard/impossible to get hold of. Just need a plan B... spare 2nd hand or find a link to one from Germany... USA...

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

looks smae as mine when one of the screw holes had cracked into the seal area :(

5. dub303 Forum Member

Oh bugger!
    I'd best get on the look out for a spare then just incase.
    I'm sure I read it isn't repairable?

6. rubjonny

if its cracked round a screw hole no I dont think you would be able to repair it successfully, as soon as you put the new screw in it would probably crack your repair again. worth a try though, the housing isnt pressurised so its not under massive stress round the seal area!

7. dub303 Forum Member

I'll keep my fingers crossed. In Holland now, so going to see if there are any of them hidden here!

8. dub303 Forum Member

Looks like South Africa has a brand new pump housing for me, keeping my fingers crossed that it is the correct one. Looks spot on from 1 pic.
    Will have to wait for it to be brought home which gives me time to think about fitting it myself.

Anyone have any tips? I read that I might be best disconnecting hoses from under the seat first? How much fuel will pour out? Best order to remove?

I'm going to collect all new hoses possible, accumulator, pump and filter. New rubber mounts.

Do I need to fill any of it with fuel before turning ignition, or just prime it all a few times before starting?

Any advice would be great ???? was going to give to my garage but feeling motivated again.

9. rubjonny

yes disconnect the hoses to the lifter pump in the fuel tank, if you dont the whole tank will eventually drain from capillary action when you disconnect the main pump hoses. have a decent size container under the car ready to catch the fuel, keep this handy as it works great at cleaning up oily parts! Undo the 4 nuts holdign the frame to the car and give it a good tug to free it off, it has handy lock washers which stops the unit falling off when you undo the nuts. they may not seem handy when you're removing it, but they are definitely handy for when you refit :lol:

I would recommend you get a set of rubber bushes that go between the bracket and housing, chances are they will rip in half when you try to undo the nuts. a new set of M6 nuts and washers worth having too as you may have to destroy a few getting the mounts off or they'll just be past saving, as well as the 3x screws that hold the pump to the housing.

inspect the old unit very closely, see if the fuel lines are any good, you may end up having to replace some of those too!

N 10404701 - fuel pump retaining screw - 45p+VAT x3
    191201256 - rubber fuel mounts - 5.85+VAT x4

N 10196901 - fuel line clip - 67p+VAT

dub303 likes this.
  10. dub303 Forum Member

Thank you very much Rubjonny!

11. rubjonny

welcome :)

12. dub303 Forum Member

I've noticed that VW Heritage do upgraded steel braided fuel Hoses.

Was there ever a problem with the original rubber sections collapsing under pressure? Costs more so not sure if worth it?

13. rubjonny

no the originals are all fine spec wise, probably just a case of thats all they could get made...

14. dub303 Forum Member

Great. Will get them from AVS when back in stock. Cheers.