Changing gearbox input shaft needle bearing, seal, pushrod bush, seal and crankseal

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by Jetta, May 18, 2008.

1. Jetta Forum Junkie

Whilst the box is out to do the clutch I have decided to replace the seals so the gear box and engine wont leak on to the new clutch (old clutch was warn with no contamination even though the crank seal was leaking a bit)

I haven't got the proper tool for the crankshaft seal as I my local VW garage cant seem to find it on the system (VW2003 tool?) got a Victor Rienz radial shaft seal and a new gasket for the sealing flange so was going to try a large cream/yoghurt ect tub like this to reinstall the sealing flange.

[​IMG]

I ordered a now push rod seal (020 311 108 A) a push rod guide bush (020 311 107 D) a main shaft / input shaft seal (020 311 113) and a main shaft / input shaft needle bearing (002 311 125 A)

I've carefully removed the push rod seal with a 7mm spanner, what's the best way to remove and reinstall the guide bush (I was thinking an easiout and then use a deep socket to drift it back in? possibly whilst the push rod is installed?)

Can the main shaft seal be removed and installed with out stripping down the box? also can I replace the needle bearing without stripping down the box? Cant find how to do these in the Bentley manual.

Although its more engine related how do I remove the sealing flange?

I've removed the 6 bolts fastening it to the block and the two though the sump but its just wiggling about

2. Broke Forum Member

I have 020.311.107.C as that part, and checking my supplier, they show a 107.D part, but it is about double the cost. I wonder what the difference is... I'll have to look in etka for the D part.

You can tap it (M10x1.50) and pull it, or knock it through from the other side with a 3/8" rod (or tap it, bolt it, and hit it through with any small rod from the other side). http://www.brokevw.com/020seal.html

I'd just slide the pushrod out. If the new bush is distorted on install (crooked, or hammered too hard) it'll possibly cause the pushrod to bind slightly sliding through it... just leave it alone. The pushrod will shape the soft bushing soon enough. Drilling it open is a bad idea, but pretty common when the bush distorts for most folks to try.

Yes...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Those were drywall screws, and I drilled a small pilot hole for them to bite into. A deep coarse thread is better, as it is less likely to pull through yanking on the screw.

No. The box would need opened to get to it.

[​IMG]

MK2 Bentley, Trans section, page 34, fig 7-28;) :lol:

I have teardown and rebuild pages covering the 020 at www.BrokeVW.com if you decide to open it up.

Broke