Changing ignition barrel...

Discussion in 'Security' started by scos, Nov 26, 2003.

1. scos Forum Member

Just bought a new 90 mk2 16V golf and the ignition key has decided that it doesn't want to come out of the igintion this morning! [:x]
    I've got my old mk2 16V in the driveway that I'm stripping for spares so i can pinch all the locks from that. I can get my mate to help me with the door locks as I know he's done them on his mk2 before but neither of us has had any dealings with the ignition barrel.
    Can I change just the barrel part as with the doors or do I need to change the whole unit over - if so, what's the procedure?
    Thanks.
    Edited by: scos

2. Craigster Forum Member

I've got a copy of the Golf Magazine that tells you how to do this...

More to the point: HOW THE HELL has it got stuck IN??!!

Anyone experienced this before?

3. scos Forum Member

It turns a bit, I mean I can switch it to the on position but I don't think it rotates to the fully off position - that's why I can't get it out. The steering lock doesn't come on at any stage either.
    I don't know much about locks but I think they're made up of lots of little springy bits of metal inside aren't they? one of the parts must be broken inside or something.

Cool, will have a look at the mag article, cheers Craig.

4. jake Forum Member

leave the key in it and make sure the steering lock isnt engaged, take the steering wheel off, remove the splined end on the column, (pain in the ass I'm affraid. 3 leg puller is handy if it's stuck) remove the indicator and wiper stalks if you havent already. On the left hand side under the casting there is a 6mm hex bolt (from memory) undo that and take the bolt right out, the casting will then come off completly with the lock barrel. Un clip the wires to the ignition switch. Do the same on the other car and your laughing :lol:

changing lock barells is a fiddly job and a pain in the ass so just swap the whole thing. Swap the door handles at the same time

5. scos Forum Member

That's brilliant, thanks jake.
    So, by the sound of it, the only difficult bit is removing the splined end on the column. Not sure what a 3-leg puller is but I may buy one as I'll be needing to get two of the feckers off! :lol:

6. jake Forum Member

Before you go mad and get a puller see if the casting will slide over the collar on the column. I cant remember if it does or not now.....
    even if you need one it shouldnt cost more than 15 quid but they are handy for all sorts of stuff. Halfords sell a Sykes Pickavant one which is ok

7. scos Forum Member

Okay, I'll try that first... cheers mate. ;)

8. vw scottie Forum Member

If your 16v hasn`t got a hazard switch on top of the steering column the casings are different and so will the wiring

9. scos Forum Member

Okay there was absolutely no way I could remove the collar round the steering column so I disconnected the universal joint at the bottom by the pedals and swapped over the whole assembly.
    The car starts now (with a different key of course!) [:D]
    However, I now can't lock the doors until I swap all the locks over... [8(]
    ...and the right indicator and horn don't work [:x]

Anyway, it's driveable now so I'm gonna get it home and sort it out at the weekend hopefully.
    Thanks for the help guys.

10. Craigster Forum Member

Gold Medal

11. Drew21 Forum Member

cool, I was going to suggest that very move. nice one

as to how the key got stuck? dunno but it happened to me too :)

indicator prob is probs a loose wire in the plugs you've been yanking on
    horn prob might be a bad connection to the earthing ring behind the wheel, try earthing the wires that connect to the button

12. scos Forum Member

One of the connectors on the right side of the column was loose, once I pushed it all the way home, everything worked again ;)
    Shame the b@stard got stolen a few days later....

...as you already know mate [xx(]

13. Drew21 Forum Member

ah, same car

f**k [8(]
    gutted for you

14. stevesellars Forum Member

i have the same problem the 3 leg puller does it have to be a set size and make?

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

VW have a special one that makes it easy, the 3 leg ones dont work that great as there isn't much lip for them to grip. I find mole grips clamped lightly round the adaptor help, but even then sometimes they wont budge. bit of heat can help here.

another solution is to thread the wheel nut on to protect the thread, then place a block o wood over the end of the column and give it a few sharp taps with a hammer. the column should collapse and the adaptor pops right off. then refit wheel loosely and give it a yank to re-extend the column.

If you just want to swap the lock, you can remove the whole column with the lock housing attached by undoing the bolt holding the lock housing to the outer column tube, and removing the bolt holding the UJ to the base of the column. Then drill a 3mm hole like so:
    [​IMG]

You may even be able to drill the hole with the housing all on the car, just a case of seeing if you have room to get a drill in there./ once the hole is drilled use a thin screwdriver down the hole to release the clip that holds the lock in place.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  16. stevesellars Forum Member

no the drill thing didn't work to well

17. stevesellars Forum Member

its steering wheel sleeve puller

18. dubmonkey New Member

Is this the same for Corrado Ign locks???

I have a Corrado VR6 donor with immob that came with 3 keys, so I want to swap the barrels over to save the hassle of getting new keys for the golf with chips matched to the immob.

19. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep corrado use same housing and adaptor as late mk2 :thumbup: