cheapest cat 1

Discussion in 'Security' started by sum1, Nov 19, 2003.

1. sum1

sum1 Forum Member

I've just checked with my insurance company and they have said that if i fit a cat 1 alarm/immobiliser my insurance will drop by 250!!! for the year. Surely there must be cat 1 alarms available for less than 250? Thus allowin me to get an alarm and still save money. Any one know of any, bearing in mind my car hasn't got central lockin which would probably have to be added at a cost. Any ideas?

2. Jeff Forum Junkie

dunno but if it costs you more than 250 youll save money by the time you renew your insurance next year, assuming youve still got the car!

I dont think cat 1 has to have central locking either.

3. Torquey Forum Member

My local installer does a cobra cat 1 for 250.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Remember you'll almost certanly have to have it fitted professionally and have the cat1 certificate filled in to prove it before the insurance company will drop the price!

Appologies if you already know this, but its worth mentioning for anyone who drops in to the thread :)

5. MrBen Forum Junkie

Correct!

Watch out for some of the really cheap installers - a good alarm can be rendered almost useless if it's installed badly!!

6. sum1

sum1 Forum Member

Thanks for all your help,is the cobra alarm any good?

7. coolasacucumber Forum Member

heard good things about cobra. Midland VW in Cannock install them, i was quoted 240 there a while back

8. Torquey Forum Member

Dunno if cobra alarm is any good. It aint been tested yet ;) don't want it to be either. [:x]

9. sum1

sum1 Forum Member

hmm, went to my local installer "Sextons" and they quoted me 300 for the clifford concept 300 alarm which didnt seem too bad. But said as my car didnt have central locking they would have to fit that too at another 100!!So jus bought a central locking kit for 25 and gonna have a go myself.

10. booted Forum Member

torquey who / where is your local installer?

11. lustyjusty New Member

I've got a GEMEL cat 1 on my mk1 with no central locking, cost 240 notes, installed my Musicar yorkshire region. Installer broke sections of my grill taking it off and left untidy wiring - numpties - although had no problems with system & very loud.

12. Trinity Forum Member

Go for the Toad AI606, cheaper than the clifford and much more reliable...the concept 300 left me stranded 4 times when it wouldnt unarm..the toad has served me well for two years and scares off the bad people.. :p
    As for central locking, its a doddle to wire mate, specially if you have two doors!

My toad was fitted by Safe'n'sound in Chester for 250, however dont use him. The mess he made, took me hours to clean it all up and route all the wires more correctly, i.e so there not on show!!!! believe this guy is useless when it comes to neatness, but cant fault his work as the alarm has always worked..

13. inloop New Member

My local does a Secure Microsystems M30 for 250 and a pager unit
    goof for 1/4 mile for an extra 150. Cat 1 plus paging! Tomorrow's
    World in Newcastle.

14. Mk2_Ozz Forum Member

Anyone know of a good alarm fitter in the south hampshire area???

15. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

I'd recommend Studweiser (of these forums). He's fitted various alarms (Concept 100 & 300) to my cars as well as boot release/central locking etc. Always does a good job - at a good price too - all installations certified as well!

Give him a pm.

16. Elijah Forum Member

Re good alarm installer in the Hampshire area - I used "stud" (Studweiser) from this forum, and would definitely recommend him - excellent bloke, excellent install and really cared about doing a good job. He did a Clifford Concept 500 + Intellistart for me - wired up all the extras for me, including window rollup and remote headlights etc. Does it professionally for a living, but I'm sure would be able to work something out with you, bypassing the middle-man.

He's based in the Croydon/Westerham area. Worth travelling though for the good service.

Can provide contact details via private message...

Elijah (formerly known as Zandner)

Edited by: Elijah

17. mk3anniversary Forum Member

Beat me to it.....i'd reccomend him aswell. he's done 2 alarms for me on golfs in as many months, and there both spot on.

PM me if u want his number.

18. Mk2_Ozz Forum Member

Cheers guys, have been in touch with him now thanks