Check this workmanship or total lack of it !!!!!

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by watercooled, May 17, 2023.

1. watercooled Forum Member

When I was repairing my central locking wiring some time ago I noticed inside the door there had been a repair carried out on the drivers door.
    Appeared to be an ok job and wasn't too worried @ the time as its an old car,when cleaning it down to mask off for painting of the roof and bonnet I noticed a crack in paintwork and an area had bubbled out,give it a push inwards and the paint cracked more and water poured out !!!!!.
    Left it for later and completed the paintwork until recently dug into it ,what a mess,the bare steel had never been abraided enough and the filler had little chance of sticking,also area's that weren't cracked the steel was rusty under the filler.
    One bad area had around 2.5mm of filler in places,instead of bringing the filler up to level on the door swage line of they just applied a shit ton of spray putty which was never sanded properly and when removing the bump strip the paint just pulled off .
    Anyway time for me to stop ranting because you poor buggers in the UK have more rust issues than we have here and I'am constantly amazed how many deal with it,cheers.

Attached Files:

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Sadly not too unusual. [:v:]

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

20230322_175619.jpg 20230425_181828.jpg
    Sill on our mgf, must be 8 years (before our ownership) probably started as a 10p sized hole which could have been repaired properly, not now a £90 sill panel plus other bits

4. watercooled Forum Member

Now thats a mess ,feel for you man,got both area's roughed out for filling properly ,hardest part was removing the rust under the ground off filler.
    Just layed down base amounts of filler and will bring it up in a couple of layers,hardest part will be blending it top part of the door swage line .
    Will now repaint the whole door, had a fairly recent reasonable repaint but the spray putty has schunk and the topcoat is showing the old repairs.
    Can get it sorted over time,cheers.

5. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Wouldn't it be easier to replace the door with one the same colour? I realize it may take time to find a direct replacement but that would be a more permanent fix.
    Obviously rot in the bodyshell is a bit more involved.

@dodgy looks like you'll need a few tea/biscuit breaks to sort that sill.

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Definitely, trying to muster up the enthusiasm after a 7 hour shift this morning and half of that on site work. Plus might have to remove interior and tank to do it.

7. watercooled Forum Member

Certainly ,however no parts for these in New Zealand ,I seem to remember there is only 7-9 cars on the road here ,my car is very rust free,I know this car inside out and only found a rust hole in the battery tray.
    Cheers.