Clarion head unit advice needed

Discussion in 'ICE' started by G60KG, Nov 14, 2011.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

My head unit is in its way out as it is skipping CDs at random. I dont need anything fancy but need something which will have 2 pre outs as I am currently running two amps. Can the head unit in the link below connect to two amps or just one 4 channel amp?
    Also want to try and get something old fashioned looking and green ilumination so it doesnt look out of place in the mk2

Clarion CZ100EG

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

Not unless you use a y-splitter as it's only a 4 channel. What's your budget and spec requirements?

3. SkyRocketeer

SkyRocketeer Forum Member

How many channels are the 2 amps you're running?
    If it's 2 x 2 chan amps then you can connect directly, and you only need to split the remote power line, which you can probably daisy-chain from one amp to the other.
    If you've got a pair of 4chan amps then you'll need to consider how you're going to drive them - what are the amps doing? are they post crossover and doing tweets and midbass separately? Is one driving a sub? More info required here.

4. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

Right I have two 2 channel amps. One is running a sub and the other is running components. So sounds like this head unit would be suitable right? The others I was considering were Alpine and Pioneer which are around the 150 mark but the clarion is less than half the price so I dont really see the point of spending the extra as I dont listen to it that often.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

So you have one amp running the fronts(?) and the other running the sub? That Clarion does look like it has 2 channels and a dedicated sub output so yes it would work with your set-up.
    You can daisy chain the remote and power from amp to another but beef up the power cable going to the battery.