Classic/Cheap Insurance?

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by Stu, Oct 27, 2003.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi All,

Have asked this before on the old forum but I've forgotten what people said now! [:s]

I want to insure my 1980 Mk1 Polo GLS for my girlfriend to learn to drive in. She's 25 with a provisional license, I would be a named driver on her policy hopefully. This way she can build up a no claims bonus. :)

Any recommendations?

I've tried Directline (500 TPFT), Tesco (500 ish TPFT) and Liverpool Victoria (500 FC) up to now.

Ideally I want a classic (or just cheap!) policy?

Any ideas much appreciated?

Stu

PS. want to try HIC but can't find their number on the net - anyone got it? :)
    Edited by: StuB

2. MrBen Forum Junkie

HIC is on 08451 290290. Also give Brentacre a try 01792 650933.

3. vdubgirl Forum Member

I got my mkII on a classic policy with HIC there pretty good [:^:]

4. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cheers for the info - will give HIC a try tomorrow. Called Brentacre already and asked about a classic policy but they said they didn't do them? Might try them again for a 'normal' policy. :)

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Dunno if it's any help (and it prolly isn't if your car is a 'valuable' one) but if your g/f has any sort of 'sensible' job such as teacher, nurse, then she might get one through her profession.

One of my jobs is with the Civil Service, and I got my insurance a lot cheaper through the Civil Service Motoring Association. Just an idea....

6. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cheers Stella, I'll look into it. She works in Local Government like me, the Polo isn't valuable or modified or anything so should be ok. :)

7. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Right, tried HIC and they are the cheapest so far. It seems I can get a far better price insuring the Polo in my name with my g/f as a named driver, I can get a classic policy too making it about 200 - 300 ish.

What are the risks associated with this though? I have 4yrs protected NCB on my GTI, if we had a mishap with the Polo would this be affected? Surely not 'cos the GTI is with another company (Brentacre), but my driving record wouldn't be clean then would it? Is it best therefore to get her a policy of her own and pay more?!?

I'm waffling on! Any ideas? [:s] Cheers!

8. Rainking Forum Member

oooh tough one... not sure to what extent 'protecting' your NCB on the GTi would cover you on the polo?

I would like to think that your NCB on the Golf would be unaffected by a claim on the polo, but in reality, it would probably come into play at some point?

9. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Yeah, that's what I thought. Going to ring back HIC when I get chance and go through the various options to see what's best.

10. G6DUB Forum Member

With most classic insurence you don't earn no claims.
    I had this trouble after having classic insurence on a MK1 for a few years, went to get normal insurence for a new car and found that I had no no claims even though I had had the policy for 2 year.
    I was lucky as I stayed with the same company and they gave me no-claims but it meant I was tired to them and stuck with there price.

Buy the way it was 105 for a Mk1 Golf GTi LHD and 6 points on licence, so it was worth me doing it.

Roll on March when the Limited goes onto classic :p
    Edited by: G6DUB

11. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Which company was that with?

Yeah, the No Claims business is another factor as well, but if the price was cheap enough then I'd go for classic though as you say. :)

12. domma Forum Member

Try H&R insurance for a classic policy.

I've been covered for two years now with them. It is limited milage but its only an extra 10 to up it to 5000miles a year from the standard 3000. Plus i pay it in installments.(tight sod) grand total of 110.

Mk1 Golf Gti 1800cc. Get the number from "Classic car"

They are adding cars to their classic list as time goes on. When i phoned they said they did'nt cover Golfs! "what about the advert on page 180 with an example of my exact car and a quote for 98 then "

Ohh sorry sir, we had better honour your request and add them to our broker list. Touch!!!

Its innsured if its in bits in the garageas well. i.e. if your in the middle of a restoration and you get flood or fire damage.

No benefit of NCB so i use mine to insure the wifes car.

It costs me more to Tax the poxy thing than insure it now.

I appreaciate it won't fit everybody's situation. But its the first time i feel the right side of an insurance company!

CheersDomma.

Found it!!! 01277 206911

13. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cheers Domma - sounds good, I'll give them a call today! [:^:]

14. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Just tried H&R, all sounded very promsing but they won't cover my g/f until she's had a full UK license for a year... unfortunately she's still learning so the search continues! [:s]

15. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Try Elephant

The lady is insured on our A3 for 570. HIC wanted 1500!!

16. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cheers Harry but already tried Elephant and they won't cover anyone who's had a provisional license for over 3 yrs. Strange rule that, not heard it before!

Any more ideas?!? :)

17. harry_the_cake Forum Junkie

Oh, okay dokey.

18. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

All done & dusted. I've taken out a classic policy in my name (not using my NCB though) with my g/f as a named driver. It's with HIC and it cost just over 200 - not bad eh?

Hope they prove to be as good as everyone says they are?!? [:^:]