classic insurance help

Discussion in 'Insurance chat' started by sweet16, Aug 30, 2004.

1. sweet16 Forum Member

My wife has just passed her driving test, to add her onto the Golf the insurance went up from 300 to 1900!!!

I have raided the old swag bad and brought her a car with cheaper insurance.

I tried a few insurers and the cheapest quotes were over 400 with limited mileage, garaged and 8 years no claims. What can I do to get the quotes down?

My car is on ebay but is not selling, simlar cars have gone for less than 600 so Im seriosuly thinking of ending the auction and keeping her.

2. Frosticles New Member

You can try AON insurance, They are the cheapest I've managed to find for both my cars. One on classic, the other on normal. The golf is 455 fully comp and the Mex is 92 fully comp with agreed value and unlimited mileage. Can't go wrong there IMO. How old is the car BTY? Needs to be pre-90 I think to class as classic.

3. superden Forum Addict

HIC insured me on my Mk2 16v for 187 for the year.

6 years NCB, 26 and not garaged.

Thats with all mods declared and includes trackday cover.

4. sweet16 Forum Member

Car is an 1989 GTI 16v so it qualifies for classic policy.

I was quoted about 350 thrid party with Adrian Flux with lowered suspension and exhaust declared. Car is gargaed in a low risk area (my postcode is A which Im told is lowest risk) and I have 8 years no claims. I also have a copmany car which Im told usually gets the cost down by quite a lot.

I expected a classic policy to be less but the AA and Adrian Flux quoted me more. If I shop around can I expect to get a limited mileage policy for less than 200?

5. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

do AON have a web site?

tim

6. sweet16 Forum Member

not sure about AON, but I have been recomended to try footmanjames.co.uk HTH.

7. sweet16 Forum Member

8. sweet16 Forum Member

Adrian Flux wont help me, they say a golf isnt a classic car no matter what year. [:s]

edited to say the best they can is a third party only for 3000 miles at 243.

Stil waiting for AON and Footman James to get back to me.
    Edited by: sweet16