Cleaning a clutch without removing the gearbox

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by mookie, Sep 13, 2011.

1. mookie Forum Member

Bit of a long shot...

I've done a gearbox swap this weekend on my Mk2 GTi, and now my clutch is slipping - very rarely and only in very specific circumstances (seems to be 4th gear accelerating from 3500rpm). Even then, it's not always repeatable and can take a few goes to make it slip again (no smell from the clutch either).

I'm not really sure why, there's no obvious oil leaking into the bell housing (previous transmission setup was fine) so either I have a small leak from the new box or I got some grease or such like behind the flywheel when we did the swap (maybe off the driveshaft flange?). I'm thinking it must be a small quantity as it so rarely slips and isnt slipping according to the usual tests in 1st and 3rd. Also the clutch is only about 20k old and was perfect up until the second hand box was put on.

Anyhoo. I'm going to take off the starter motor tonight and have a peep inside the bell housing and see if there's anything on the flywheel or inner casing that might suggest a leak... but has anyone successfully applied clutch cleaner through there to sort out anything similar?

2. Admin Guest

use the car on a good run and pour coke in through the inspection hole at the top. 2l should do you right.

3. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

could be a glaze issue. i changed the clutch on my mk4 when i had a non-repeatable slip, which i think was due to glaze. id run it for a while to see if it becomes more persistent

4. mookie Forum Member

Are you pulling my leg :) ?!??? Coke?

5. Admin Guest

nope. it may help you, i have used it and seen others use it to clear up small spills/leaks

6. mookie Forum Member

Blimey how mad is that? So, should I basically just fill the bell housing with coke and leave it to sit for a while? Or let it drain out from the **** plate at the bottom as I'm pouring it in?

7. mookie Forum Member

And I think I realised what might be causing the slip.

The tin of what I thought was brake/clutch cleaner, was carb cleaner. Major Doh moment, as I think I'm right in that carb cleaner leaves a residue? I gave the exposed areas of the clutch a once over with it before putting the box on... goddamn it. It was next to my clutch/brake aerosol and both were missing the lid, just assumed i had the right one.

Might try the coke thing tomorrow...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  8. Admin Guest

if hot enough the coke will burn off or just leak out, just ask VW singh

9. mookie Forum Member

OK... thanks for the suggestion! If I'm being a bit thick, pour it in with the engine... off? :p

10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Lol! Yea. I had the clutch slipping badly at Bedford Autodrome last year. While still hot and with the engine running I poured coke through the inspection hole. It helped reduce slipping. Coke is a degreasant (so I have been told) and helps wash all the crap off. Although the marshals at Bedford thought my car had dumped all it's oil in the pits :lol:

You could just pour engine degreasant through the inspection hole and jet wash it out too.:thumbup:

Ultimately, you may have a leak from the replacement box. This is the only time I ever get clutch slippage without any burning smells. The input shaft seal is a very common failure. Oil residue can be seen at the bottom of the bell housing by taking off the little splash guard.

Gurds

11. theboymike Forum Junkie

After attempting to top up the gear box oil through the inspection hole ([:$]) I had success burning the oil off by dipping the clutch slightly at speed and bringing the revs up to make it slip.. this was probably 10k ago with no problems since :thumbup:

12. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

surely you would bung in a new plate if you had the box stripped out?

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it was good enough for the works Audi team, it's good enough for us!

Coke is:
    a) Sticky
    b) Acidic (mild phosphoric acid I think)
    c) Cheap
    d) The real thing for clutch bodges

It's fine as a get-you-home fix, or to delay the job by a week or two, but chances are you've got an oil leak, and need to take the box off and fix the seals. Pushrod seal and bronze bush would be the most likely culprits.