Cleaning up a very old woodwooking Vice

Discussion in 'Tools, Equipment & Fasteners' started by Steve B, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Steve B Forum Junkie

Hi Guys I got my hands on an old wood working vice, could be over 80 years old, still works fine but id like to clean it up. At the moment it still has its original paint so dont want to touch that, but it has paint and dirt on it that id like to remove, any idea what I could use. Also there is a slight dusting of rust on some of the parts which id like to clean off, its not enough for me to mess around with electrolysis im wondering if ill be able to polish it off with polishing mops?

here are some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also Can anyone help me find replacements for the following two bolts, they are most likely imperial measurements and im not sure how i can find some replacements (a couple are missing)

Bolt one - click the pics to enlarge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bolt 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. murph81 Forum Member

Looks a bit modern to be eighty years old imo.

Thinners or some wire wool to remove the old paint, grease the moving parts and light coat of grease on the bare metal.

3. Sirguydo

Sirguydo Fastest milkman in the West Paid Member

Maybe brake cleaner to get the grime off or wd40 and a rag :thumbup:
    Bolts go to your local engineering supply place they should have a few unc bits and pieces in stock :thumbup:

4. Steve B Forum Junkie

will give that a go, and get back would be nice to keep it working, this is supposedly a quick release vice, but its a much older implementation (before they have the handle on the front which most people would be used to) so i would say its really old.

to make the point here are some original posters from the company

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

you can see the same kind of vice in these images and they both have the later handle on the front and extra bar underneath for the quick release so i think this vice pre dates them. the idea i think is to press the button underneath. It doesnt work at the moment seems to be stuck or seized (or its not a quick release one) im going to disassemble to see for certain. but i cant see what the point of the center piece would be if it wasn't quick release seems pointless to have all that in there.