Clocks - 120mph to 160mph and MFA questions..

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by MrP, Feb 9, 2011.

1. MrP

MrP Paid Member Paid Member

Right..

First question: My MFA doesn't work fully. It only reads the time, oil temp and outside temp. the MPG and MPH just show: __ __ __

I have used the search on this site and other sources and all I can find that this is down to the dicky MFA unit on the back of the clocks and that the entire clocks need replacing. I have checked the vacuum pipe and it seems fine. Unless you guys have any other suggestions? :thumbup:

Also, I know my clocks are 2 plug and they are currently 120mph, can I fit 140mph or 160mph 2 plug clocks or will this affect the reading of the speedo/rev counter? My research shows that all I need to do is match some sort of code on the clocks and any 120, 140 or 160mph clocks will work as this code relates to the gearing. is this correct? [:$]

Thanks!

2. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Early spec (2 plug) clocks should all work fine.

3. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

Yes, there is code on the face of the speedo above the trip reset button, normally 1540. This refers to the speedo gearing. You need to get two plug clocks with the same code as your originals, as long as code matches, the speedo will read correct whether 120 or 160.

4. MrP

MrP Paid Member Paid Member

Nice one..

Thanks boys! :thumbup:

5. rich81 Forum Member

The MFA fault you have is a faulty speedo sensor which sits on the back of the speedo. You can just change that for a good one and it should all work again - doesn't require any stripping down of the clocks to do, you just need them out of the car.