cluch pedal in carpet, slipps clutch when driving??????

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by skint_golfer, Apr 4, 2009.

1. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

not what I need the day after I pay 180 tax but such is life I guess, anyway....

last week the box started crunching reverse quite bad and 1st + 2nd became a struggle to engage, after a few days they stoped engaging completely unless the engine was off [xx(]

re-checked the linkage with the special tool in place and all was fine so set about adjusting the cluch - I wound out the big, black, flared plastic thing on the bottom of the threaded section of the cable and managed to get all my gears perfectly with no crunch in reverse.

cluch pedal was low to the carpet at about 2inch - much lower than the other pedals - and seemed to bite veryu quickly, almost on/off. seemed to drive fine though.

done 45 miles and now the crunch is back in reverse + I lost all gears again.

re-adjusted the black thing, got all the gears but the pedals sunk even further - now only an inch off the carpet. its also developed a serious clutch slip whenever I accelerate unless I'm very gentle.

so questions:

have I adjusted it right? and if not how?
    why is my pedal almost at the carpet?
    why dose my car hate me when I treat her so well and spend so much on her???? [:x]

and just because it helps.... 16v mk2, e-plate, standard box and clutch etc.

2. mattkh Forum Member

Hi
    Put up a picture of the lever which is moved by the cable.
    I think you have a fracture somewhere.

3. skint_golfer

If only i were bright enough to post pics then I would, but as I'm not then my poor descriptions are the best I can do. sorry :lol:

will be off for a little fiddle again in the morning, I got all day off and have just found brokevw's guide on adjustment so will be giving it another go.

4. skint_golfer

quick update:

still got no gears even with about 2 hour of fiddling about [:^(] cluch pedel is still almost in the carpet [:^(] and now when I try and start up in first the car tries to take off down the road! [:x]

I've also made sure the cluch arm has about 12mm movement as per brokevw's guide and removed the little metal clip round the top adjuster that was stopping it turning without turning the cables sheath. tried adjusting that end too but no joy :(

broken pushrod has been sugested which I'll investigate tommorrow (cheers Seb), please any more ideas would be great?

5. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

I've no idea whats up mate but if it helps email me a pic and I'll get it posted up, or bring the pic round and I'll teach you! lol.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if it has the auto cable (big chunky thing) then replace it with a manual one (long thread with a nut on for adjustment) make sure you havent lost the metal cal and lock plate from clutch arm as well

7. skint_golfer

nope, its a manual and complete too. I'm tempted to replace the lot anyway though if it wont adjust up to be on the safe side.

whats the consensus on gsf cables and adjuster etc? any good?

8. rubjonny

used loads of gsf cables, they're fine.
    have you checked the length of the pushrod itself? mine was similar but i had no adjustment left at all, this was due to pushrod being crushed down and mushroomed at both ends. new one sorted it but box had to come out as i couldnt remove the pushrod

9. skint_golfer

going to keep fiddling about with it this weekend to see what I can achieve then if I draw a blank I'll start pulling it apart and swapping bits over next week.

got to admit when it comes to gearboxes I don't have much of a clue and the haines book of lies is not much use on the subject either :(

so before I start ordering parts could someone scan their eye over my shopping list and tell me if I've missed anything? its based on a worse case scenario of everything being knackered (and I already have a new cluch on the shelf):

Clutch cable (gsf 71566)
    rubber gromet (gsf 71714)
    rubber washer (gsf 71713)
    clutch release bearing (gsf R-07376)
    clutch release bearing cover plate (gsf 19352)
    pushrod (gsf 19350)

if theres anything above thats pointless in replacing or you have an alternative to, please let me know.

...and clutch asside, can that lot all be done "box-in"?

cheers all for the help :thumbup:

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  10. rubjonny

aye all that can be done with box in, assuming you can pull the pushrod out! i assume the rubber bits are for the clutch cable attachment right?

11. nealey Forum Junkie

I had a look today with Ian, the lever is at its lowest point but there is no adjustment left in the cable, the cable needs changing for a start as if you look at it the centre has split and come away from the cable as well so its not sitting snug, you will also have another problem but i dont know what it will be, i would pop the green endcap off and check the release lever and as mentioned check the pushrod

12. skint_golfer

hello Si,

cheers for taking a look, I'll get all the bits ordered first thing monday/tuesday.

will I get a load of gearbox oil land on my drive when I pop the cap off? never done it before.

cheers!

13. nealey Forum Junkie

you will lose a bit of gearbox oil but not loads, you will need a new end cap as well so it seals again

14. rubjonny

jack it up high on passenger side and you shouldnt loose much if any, but have something under it all the same

15. skint_golfer

okey dokey,

will be doing this during the week hopefully, work allowing :(

can anyone tell me if GSF part number 19351 - "clutch operating lever" is the external lever the cable passes through or internal one that moves the pushrod?

tried phonong but I guess as its bank holiday their not working

cheers

16. rubjonny

my guess is the external lever, the internal one is cheaper from vag

17. skint_golfer

quick update:

I bought this lot with the "worse case" in mind:

Clutch cable (gsf 71566)
    rubber gromet (gsf 71714)
    rubber washer (gsf 71713)
    clutch release bearing (gsf R-07376)
    clutch release bearing cover plate (gsf 19352)
    pushrod (gsf 19350)

fitted the cable on it own today and it seems to have "cured" the problem. I use " " marks because when I fitted the cable in order to get the 10-12mm play as per Brokevw's guide I had to adjust it so there was no thread left showing and pump the peddle a bit. in other words its at its longest/loosest setting.

gears worked a dream but after about 2 miles pottering about banbury it was refusing 1st and 2nd

I've adjusted it up some more so a bit of thread is showing and it selects gears again but not yet been for a test drive.

2 quick questions?????

is this normall fitment for a new cable (full length to make it go on)?
    is it also normall to have to adjust it a few times before it "settles in" to the right place?

I'd like to avoid opening up the box if I don't have to and not sure if doing it just yet would be an over reaction or not.

cheers all

18. rubjonny

neither of those are normal, but it could just be due to the clutch being quite worn?

19. skint_golfer

humm.... clutch is biting low in the travel (which is back to normal height now too :) ) so I wouldn't be thnking the clutch is to worn myself (forgot to mention it - sorry).

last night about 8.40 i did a quick spin of about 2 miles with some slow 5th gear + full throttle hill action to see if I could get the clutch slipping which it didn't :thumbup: and then did 30 mile round trip to work. no re-adjustments been needed so far and gear selections silent + smooth [:D]. got the same 30 miles later today back to college so I'll see after that.

think I'll keep an eye on it and if anthing changes I'll have the end cap off and swap the other bits I bought as it wont do it any harm then if it continues to deteriorate then that jst leaves the clutch (of which I have a couple to choose from on the shelf)

thanks for the help :thumbup: :clap:

20. rubjonny

well I'd not worry about it then, maybe cable did stretch a tad or something. as long as it works now then leave it be!