Clutch only slips when engine hot, not from cold, normal ?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by JD8v, Jan 18, 2008.

1. JD8v Forum Member

My mk2 8v k jet clutch is splipping, but i cant make it slip when i start from cold, is this normal or does that sugest oil leak somewhere.
    any advise much appreciated:clap:

2. pigbladder Forum Addict

no its not normal...shouldnt slip hot or cold

3. TIM

Tim Forum Addict

as above any slippage is not good!

tim

4. sahtt57 New Member

When a clutch slips it typically doesn't have anything to do with 'leaks'. The slippage begins when the clutch disk cannot maintain friction between the transmission and engine. It can be caused by severe glazing from racing conditions, wearing out the clutch surface completely, or usually a combination of both. However, a severe rear main seal leak can cause slight slippage on an already worn clutch, but that's rare. As for your temperature sensitivity, that's probably due to the fact heat enhances friction [think tires, brakes, etc.] while a lack of heat does the opposite. My educated guess is your clutch is almost toast but the first symptoms are showing up when it's very cold but as the drivetrain warms up it is able to get some friction going again. Try checking here on failing clutch symptoms in case you encounter more issues gti slipping clutch and if your car has 60k+ miles it's probably about that time.

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

^^^^ Erm...It slips when, hot, but not from cold! ;)

I`ve got the same problem with a brand new clutch. At first it was found to be over adjusted, and slackening the cable off a bit seemed to cure it, but it`s doing it again, and, adjusting the cable doesn`t help.

6. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Where an 020 gearbox is involved, there's always got to be the possibility that the clutch pushrod seals are leaking, allowing gearbox oil onto the clutch. Cure slippage, nothing to do with wear.

Sure signs are oil spray patterns inside ... If there's any way of getting a torch in, or mirror in (starter motor off?) then this could be a quick way of crossing that possiblity off.

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I think i may have the above problem on mine... but it only slips every so often and only when hooning around, but oddly it only happened once on the track.

ill take the starter out ths weekend and have a look,

8. DuBDuDe Forum Member

Ive just screwed a new clutch like this. I fitted a spare gearbox while im getting mine rebuilt. even made sure i change the main seal so i didnt ruin a new clutch but the push rod seal had worn and only became apparent after i fitted it all. When i took off the gearbox end cap(the green one) to check oil pourted our ...... grrr