Clutch pedal helper spring, retrofit.

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by davidut5, Mar 2, 2024.

1. davidut5 Forum Member

Want to fit a clutch pedal return spring to my mk2 jetta driver. Had a look on my pedal and the mounting points are missing, so need to replace whole assembly, i guess?
    Had a look in etka, and the spring should be on 1.6 and 1.8.
    What cars were fitted with this device? Had a look to buy new, and only the spring can be delivered, the plastic guides not available.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

all the mount points should be there, unless its a really early pedal box thing perhaps. anyway, I retrofitted one on my 1.6 driver and it made the square root of FA difference

these were only fitted to models with the self-adjusting clutch, manual ones it wasnt fitted

3. davidut5 Forum Member

*square root of FA difference* is this good or bad?
    Car is 1991, auto adjust cable since a bought it, lhd from mexico. Definitely missing the mounting points, as i see on sone pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Translates to 'it made no difference' :)

5. davidut5 Forum Member

Looks kind of small, not like newer cars, maybe that's why.

Attached Files:

6. davidut5 Forum Member

So today got to do this job, man, it kept fighting me all the way! Took some good hours.
    Got the pedal cluster from a us version jetta, but did not fit the whole thing, as i did not like the way it looked. Instead i took the pin off the bracket, just m8 nut holding it. The support on the pedal was very much welded good, but managed after all, and bolted on my pedal.
    As above, i found a bigger spring in the spring box, some washers on the ends and jobs a gooden. After that the junk aftermarket self adjust cable need reseting.
    Now, pedal feel is very much different. Opposite to before the retrofit, little harder at the start, and very soft at the bottom, and almost cannot feel the pedal when releasing. Will take some getting use to. I think the spring can be a touch softer.|
    Hehe, no pics when finished, sorry about that, was getting dark and forgot.

Attached Files: