Clutch pedal return spring..FIXED! Pedal stop..FIXED!

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by nealey, Aug 15, 2009.

1. nealey Forum Junkie

Right today i was 15miles from home and my clutch cable snapped, i was 8 miles from GSF but managed to get someone to drop a cable off to me.

Its a self adjusting cable on a mk2 8v gti, since fitting it my clutch pedal seems really soft (it wasnt this soft last year when i replaced the cable when it snapped).

A couple of times on the way home the pedal seemed to stick and then flick up and at one point i thought the cable had snapped again as it stayed flopping about near the floor but then it returned to normal

The bite point of the clutch now appears to be higher as well, i still have the req free play but it just doesnt feel right

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited: May 29, 2010
  2. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

have you checked the return spring and nylon rod assembely on the back of the pedal?

if you push the clutch pedal to far it can dislocate and stick, mine did. when I got it apart the nylon part had split so was sliding off the locating/fixing point at the top of the clutch lever.

only cheap from our man in cov

3. mk28vICED Forum Member

ditch the self adjust cable IMO. then go from there

4. nealey Forum Junkie

Well turns out my clutch stop has gone awol so will replace that and see if there is any improvement

5. nealey Forum Junkie

I now think a clutch stop isnt going to help me much!!

Noticed yesterday there seems to be something else missing on the pedal, after a quick check on etka and a look on another car it turns out im completely missing the return spring and guides, guess this is the problem with my extremely soft pedal

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

not really a problem, some models didnt even have the spring

7. nealey Forum Junkie

I must of had the return spring at some point as i found half of it although it had flicked up so couldnt see it when i had a quick look

How do you actually fit the thing though, i had a go today and its a nightmare!

8. rubjonny

hehe yeah its a pain in the ****, I retrofitted one to my driver. got there in the end and it made sod all difference, great :lol:

9. nealey Forum Junkie

How did you get it on?

10. garnetteyes Forum Member

My jetta hasn't got one on but my mk2 has by the looks of things??!! Never really looked before.

I'd be inclined to fit a maual adjusting cable, the self adjusters can be a real pain

11. nealey Forum Junkie

I may end up doing that, im picking up a guide tomorrow as well as a clutch stop, if its no better with the stop and i cant get the return spring in then im going to switch to a manual cable and see how i go

12. rubjonny

sorry I cant remember, I just know it was a sod :(

13. nealey Forum Junkie

I think i may have worked out a nice easy way to fit it, will report back tomorrow!

Dont think my clutch stop is the right part though as it goes nowhere near the pedal, im going to use a combination of nuts, bolts and washers as a clutch stop temporarily untill i find the proper parts

14. garnetteyes Forum Member

There's definitely a plastic clip up there (or there's suppossed to be) it's about 1 from VAG

15. nealey Forum Junkie

Ok got the return spring back on, i tried clamping it all down in some big grips, wrapping a cable tie through them then fitting the compressed spring and cutting the cable tie, this didnt work very well and snapped another guide on fitting as it got wedged!

Luckily i had bought two so i took the whole clutch pedal off and fitted the mechanism to that and it all slid straight on in less than five minutes!

My makeshift clutch stop did not go as well though, i dont think its long enough so the pedal is still sticking unless i hold it down slightly whilst driving

How far does the pedal stop hold the pedal down? If anyone can get a picture of the area that will be even better as i think i may be missing somewhere else around there.

16. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

I'm at work till 6pm on Monday mate, can drive in in mine, if you want to pop down when you finish at work and have a quick look at mine.

17. nealey Forum Junkie

Cheers Ian, will take you up on that!

18. nealey Forum Junkie

Right im going to fit a manual clutch cable, i take it i need the clutch cable from a 1.3?

19. muppet9966 Forum Member

or a 1.6 (thats what I got when my cable snapped - non-self adjusting).

20. rubjonny

yeah 89 1.6 should always be a manual type, or if offered 2 choices for your car go for the cheaper one