Clutch pedal

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by Mike gt, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Mike gt Forum Member

I have a GT 130, and my clutch pedal went to the floor and had about 1inch travel on it but could not change gear, after having a look at the pedal, I've moved it up words and went back to its original position, and able to change gear. What I would like to know what was the cause of this problem?

2. MrBroombastic76 New Member

Sounds to me like either the pedal became stuck somehow, on the carpet or footwell mat. Or more likely the diaphram in the master cylinder turned inside out.
    If it reoccurs I'd start there for a fix. This happened on the wife's Focus recently.

3. blis Forum Member

My MK2's under dash card would droop and hook up my clutch. So I cut out the offending piece of it.

4. twolitrepinto Forum Member

i beleive the mk4 has a little white clip that the ball from the master cylinder clips into.
    over time and many presses the clip breaks in half and the pedal ends up with a lot of slack at the top.
    just had the same problem on an A3 after replacing the clutch and flywheel and still having the same issue.
    Luckily, it needed a clutch and flywheel anyway so it was not a waste of time.

The plastic clip is only a couple of quid, but a bit of a mare to do. i would recommend removing the clutch pedal assembly to do as the spring will pop out and its a mare to refit upside down. (ask me how i know)

good luck

5. Mike gt Forum Member

Thanks for advise, I shall have a look to see if clip has broken, but after lifting the clutch pedal seems to be fine now and topping up on fluids. I had a feeling that the slave cylinder had gone.

6. GAD

gad Forum Member

I have had this happen on two cars before (seat and golf), its highly likely that it is what "twolitrepinto" has described above.

On one of my cars it was the weld around the white clip that failed resulting in no leaver action on the master cylinder on the other it was the clip that broke. I found replacing the whole pedal easier

Dav

7. carl325 New Member

Have recently had this on my mk4 1.8t and it was the slave cylinder. Had the whole clutch and flywheel plus master cylinder and slave cylinder done. Being at a set of traffic lights unable to select a gear or get the clutch pedal off the floor is never good!

8. sprint_48

sprint_48 Paid Member Paid Member

Similar problem on my '02 1.8T. Driving along, there was a bang noise from inside the car and the clutch pedal went right to the floor. Turns out a piece of metal had broken off from the clutch pedal assembly, found it in the footwell. Had it welded back on, all good.

9. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Aye this is very common on mk4 golfs the welds are poor and crack letting the small piece of metal break off over time
    welding it back as you did is better than buying a new one probably last longer