Clutch Slipping

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Chazkayak, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Chazkayak Forum Member

Is it usual for a clutch to start slipping after two years use?

I fitted a new 16v clutch to my motor (2.0l 16v) while rebuildingmy car two years ago, I havent done loadsa miles and I dont thrash the pants off it.

My motor is mildly tuned, polished ported head, stainless manifiold KR cams and thats as far as it goes, I would suggest its only around 150bhp (not been on a dyno).

How many horses can a standard 16v clutch take, what options have I to upgrade?

2. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Might have blown the oil seal in the gearbox, quite common.

3. Chazkayak Forum Member

Bloody ell, hope not. Luckilly Ive got an 8v box, any recomendations on a clutchf or the extra bhp??

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Mk2 16v?

Have you checked the cable? As the clutch wears, the cable will go tighter. If you don't adjust it the clutch can slip.

A good standard clutch should be fine in your car, although it should be nearer 170bhp, at that spec.

I used to run a Sachs Power clutch (see GSF and others) in a similar spec of car. It was fine too.

5. Chazkayak Forum Member

Only put a new self adjusting cable on it a couple of months ago, do they sometimes not "self adjust".

I did notice that the arm/lever into the box doesnt return full down as though the spring inside is faulty , could that cause problems?

6. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

Get a manual cable, self adjusting ones are cack :thumbup: