Clutch slipping

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by 8valvenut, Jul 11, 2010.

1. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

Fitted a new clutch last year then parked the car up for 6 months i just started using it again and noticed the clutch is starting to slip when i give it the beans [:s]
    does this mean i need to drop the gearbox out again and find out whats wrong or will it put itself right ? [:s]

2. danster Forum Addict

Is there any free play in the clutch cable?
    It could be too tight and causing this issue. There should be about 5mm free play / lift on the actuating arm on the front side of the box.:thumbup:

3. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

just been out and had a play with the arm, there is no play at all on the arm and it does seem tight as well, it pushes down ok but when it goes back to its rested position there is no liftable play i messed with the automatic adjuster but still no joy, does this mean new clutch cable time ? [8(]

4. danster Forum Addict

It does sound like that could be the cause.
    See if there is a manual adjustment cable available as these are better than the self adjusting ones.
    If it is in a mk3 I am not 100% sure the mk2 manual adjustment cable will fit
    Rubjonny may be the man to confirm prior to ordering one.:thumbup:

Sure beats taking the box out!

5. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

manual adjustment would be good :thumbup:
    and it would certainly beat taking the box out again :lol:
    i have had the same cable on the car for 4 years now and i dont know how old it is as it was on the car when i bought it, im thinking of ordering one from GSF tonight for the simple fact that if its not the cable it could do with a new one anyway really, and hopefully it will solve the slipping problem, ill hang on for a couple of hours longer before ordering as somebody may come in with a different theory :)

6. danster Forum Addict

Word on the street, is that the mk3 clutch pedal has a different cable attachment from the mk2, meaning the manual adjustable cable from a mk2 is possibly not interchangeable then[:^(]
    Can you confirm it is actually a mk3 car we are talking about here.

7. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

yeah sorry its mk3 gti 8v 2e engine and 020 box :thumbup:

8. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

did the clutch slip before you parked it up

do you know the make of the clutch fitted

9. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

clutch was from my local motor factors i forgot the make but think it was QH with what looked like the old vauxhall badge on the box, i replaced the clutch release plate and spring clip, the friction plate, pressure plate and the little seal that fits in the end of the shaft for the push rod i also replaced the clutch release bearing and finger and end cap and put 2ltrs of fresh vw oil in the box it ran perfect for 4 months then i parked it up and declared it off road until last week i have done about 200 miles then the clutch started to slip its not bad under normal driving but when i put my foot down to give it some beans it starts to slip also the car has been parked up for nearly 7 months

10. MUSHY 16V

that just what i thought you were going to say
    i had the same with my 8v mk2 it's the QH clutch that is the problem
    mine did this from day one

i bet the clutch lever on the gearbox sits higher than it did before

11. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

yeah you are right it does sit a little higher than it used too [:^(]
    is there a way round it ? or is it new clutch AGAIN [8(]

12. danster Forum Addict

I would definitely still be trying to get some free play on the cable prior to taking box out.

Does a Mk2 clutch pedal fit a mk3 pedal box? This would allow a manual adjustment cable to be fitted if there is not a mk3 manual adjustment type available.

13. MUSHY 16V

with my car ever clutch would not disengage fully when the cable was set right
    or if you set it so you could change gear it would slip
    it the clutch pressure plate that is at fault

14. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

i really dont fancy taking the box off again let alone afford a new clutch [:v:]
    i have no idea about changing the pedal etc as i have not had anything to do with that side of things before, but there must be a way of modifying the cable somehow, or if the pedal change is easy i will have a go but for one i dont have time to search the scrappys etc,
    then the cable is to change as well [:x]
    oh dear that will teach me to buy genuine next time lol

15. MUSHY 16V

the manual adjustment cable did not sort this
    the problem it too much has been machined off the pressure plate face when they made it
    you get the same problem if you skim the flywheel and dont skim the face the pressure plate sits on to keep the depth the same

the problem i had if you set the clutch cable how it should be
    the pedal does not have enough travel to disengage the clutch

you all so get the same problem if the push rod is worn

16. danster Forum Addict

A mk3 8v clutch kit is different from a mk2 8v and 16v.
    The mk3 clutch kit may use the same friction disc as the mk2 16v (larger input shaft on box), but the pressure plate is different in that it uses a larger single dowel to locate it to the flywheel, where as the mk2, both 8 and 16v use two smaller dowels.

Does the clutch cable, where it fits to the release arm, have a thick (20mm) or a thin (5mm) rubber spacer?
    It would be good to try the car with some free play on the release arm to see if the fault is still there.
    It could be what Mushy16v states is going to be the case but trying to eliminate the simple things first would be a good plan.

17. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

there is a rectangle shaped rubber bush thingy at the end of the cable with a washer the same shape and size that the cable hooks onto underneath the arm, my initial thought was to cut the rubber block in half and see if that worked or make something to fit without it falling off, does anyone think that might work to get the arm to lower a tad ?

18. MUSHY 16V

i did drive mine for 5 years like this with it set so it just disengage the clutch and on more a bit notchy at times
    and it would only slip if you dumped the clutch
    i changed the box thinking it was the push rod

dont think you could get the auto cable to do this

19. 8valvenut Paid Member Paid Member

hmmm never thought of that, im guessing what you're saying is if i make the rubber smaller to compensate the space, the auto cable will adust itself accordingly putting me back to square one ?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  20. danster Forum Addict

Are there possibly different depths of release bearing, specific to clutch manufacturer that keep the release arm operating in the correct arc?
    I am sure plenty of folk never bother to change the release bearing when a clutch or box is changed.
    This may be the reason some folks have problems with no clearance and snapping the actuating arm in the housing.