Cold air feed to stock airbox?

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by TurboJ, Sep 14, 2012.

1. TurboJ Forum Member

As most people here are bound to know, cotton/mesh/whatever "performance" filters aren't always the safest choice, and don't usually make big power gains on moderately tuned engines,
    so I have a question.

I'm using a stock air box on my '91 mk2 Jetta Turbodiesel.
    Power numbers are expected to be around 220-230 hp at ~35 psi boost.
    (the engine is thoroughly built, so please no BS about this)

Turbo inlet is 60mm and airbox has a 70 mm pipe connector on it - the intake tube will
    be made out of mandrel-bent aluminium tubing with a 60->70mm adapter.
    Air box itself is the biggest one on all mk2s, an Eco diesel one.
    So I'm thinking about building a cold air feed pipe for the airbox.

No the question: How beneficial a cold air feed is on a turbocharged engine?
    There is a big intercooler after all. I'm thinking the cold air feed has less relevance
    than on a N/A engine?

Still, there is bound to be some benefit with using a cold air feed - but how does its length
    and shape affect its performance? For example, if I have to do a two-feet long pipe with three
    bends in it to achieve a proper cold air feed, will that help power output or impede it?
    I was thinking the diameter should be 70mm as that's the max diameter of the airbox-to-turbo
    pipe as well.

Any dyno-proven experience, or true physics about this?

Also, will heat on the airbox itself have any effect? I have seen people cover them with
    heat-resistant foil, but that seems a little superstitious to me...

2. angoose New Member

from my limited experience playing with turbo diesels i would say there is not much point in putting in a cold air feed if your using a turbo as air passing through a turbo is going to heat up. as the more pressure the hotter the air anyway