ColorMFA

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by NateS2, Jun 21, 2021.

1. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

ezgif.com-optimize.gif Not really sure what section to put this in but its going into a MK4 so

I recently got approached about fitting a ColorMFA into a RB8 Bosch Golf MK4 cluster. This isn't "officially" supported but I fancied a challenge and decided to have a go.

I'll attach some pictures later of the case modifications required to make this work, and the differences from a VDO cluster, if people are interested. However, as you can see from the video, everything works!

I don't think I could ever justify the cost of one for myself however they are a very cool piece of kit and have a lot of functions. I don't think I'll be offering this as a service, or ColorMFA's in general as ard is already doing an amazing job with that!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    cupracraig likes this.
  2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Trick!!

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

That's sweet.

4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Likey a lot

5. NateS2

I'm going to be hopefully doing the final assembly for it tonight so I'll get some picture then, and some pictures of what it looks like inside too. One of the more involved things I've done, probably took nearly 10 hours with all the faffing. I think they actually do one for MK5 too @GVK

6. UKLonar

UKLonar Paid Member Paid Member

Is there anything sensible and similar available for mk2 clocks you'd be able to do? Might be a neat idea after my engine swap.

7. NateS2

There is actually, CANChecked sold by TurboZentrum. Never fitted one but it looks very simple compared to this. By all accounts the Canchecked devices are pretty good, here's a German video of it.

UKLonar likes this.
  8. GVK

I would need a highline cluster, mines poverty spec. lol

9. NateS2

As promised, a few more pictures. As you see its quite a lot of work to install of these neatly. Judicious use of Kapton tape required. The front side is quite boring, its just the screen and all these cables come up underneath it.
    Bit clearer video of what it looks like at night here
    IMG_5424 - Copy.jpg IMG_5425 - Copy.jpg IMG_5426 - Copy.jpg

Last edited: Jun 23, 2021
  10. GVK

Jesus looks complicated!

11. NateS2

To be honest the wiring wasn't as bad as it looks I think I spent the same or more time fettling the case to get that to fit. Apparently it goes straight in with VDO clusters, but no so with these it would seem