Condensation

Discussion in 'General Vehicle Chat' started by stella, Nov 30, 2009.

1. stella

stella Forum Junkie

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

the recirculating button is next to the ac one it will light up if it is on
    that is for air con

climate control it is under the demister button

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  3. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I’ve had three cars in within the last two weeks, all suffering with condensation, one passat, one A6, both with the drains blocked and water running into the car, the other was a MK4, the MK4 had a leaking bung in the floor, not an easy fault to find as it looked as if it was sealed from the outside with the undebody sealant. The sealant looked loose so I removed it, under the sealant it was clear to see that the bung was damaged and letting in water through a small hole in the sealant, must be a fairly common fault as the design of the bungs has now been changed. The bung is in the rear passenger foot well, easy to see from underneath

4. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

This might sound rubbish, but I have noticed a lot of other peoples' cars have condensation, probably due to the time of year, damp from shoes sitting on rubber footwell mats etc. Our cars aren't prone to it but just lately they all seem to be suffering.

5. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Mentioned this to a friend (most untechy person ever!) and she said she has the same in her JapCrap car and that she switched on the aircon, which gets rid of the mist on the windows and on her glasses, too!

I've tried that today, and it seems to get rid of the misting a lot faster than just using the blower. So I guess I'll stick with that until it goes back to VW in the new year for a bit more work.

6. coullstar Forum Member

Check the carpets in the passenger front and rear footwell to see if there damp. Id they are its probably either the pollen filter or door card seals. The car wont produce condensation without some sort of fluid/damp insdie the car already.

7. NBirkitt Forum Member

Yes it will, air-con dehumidifies the air and if you use the recirculation button, drawing air from inside the car rather than external air, then it amplifies the effect and will dry out any condensation in the car much more quickly...

8. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Dulco-ease is supposed to be very good, alternatively liquorice or plenty of fruit & fibre in your diet should help:thumbup:

9. Collie Forum Junkie

has the car got a sunroof?

my golf leaked like a sieve last year, all 4 sunroof drains had blocked/come off the carpets felt dry from the top but when i removed them they actaully were ringing wet,.

also my pollen filter cover was cracked so water was dripping in down there and one of the rear door seals was letting in.

Just for you to mull over,

ps removing all the carpets takes a little while, and if they are as wet as mine were they take a week to dry out in a nice warm house.

10. PNG

png Forum Member

Where do they actually block or come off, Collie? I'm currently trying to find a mk3 leak ...

11. altern8 Forum Junkie

washing up liquid on the inside windows work

12. Collie Forum Junkie

on my golf they had come off the end near the drains out of the a pillar, so all the wayter was draining down the pipe and straight behind the carpets.

13. Collie Forum Junkie

14. PNG

png Forum Member

^ thanks mate :thumbup:

15. stella

stella Forum Junkie

I have no sunroof, so no leaking from there. I've checked the drainholes, which have rubber bungs in them if I'm looking at the right things, but they're dry and when I life the rubber a bit, nothing comes out.

My Golf used to suffer from a leaky sunroof and also from scuttle overflow sometimes, but it affected just the windscreen and would clear reasonably quickly.

The Bora - all the windows steam up, not just the front. And badly - not just a bit.

I've tried using the air-con, but it doesn't seem to get rid of it more quickly than just the blower. I'll try using it on re-circ tomorrow, see if that helps.

There is no apparent wet carpet/seats and I used the dehumidifier on it last week.

It's driving me nuts! I can't even wipe it off, it just seems to spread it out a bit, though I can feel the cloth is wet.

I drove from work to ASDA tonight, took all that time to demist, then an hour shopping and it was bad again. It looks really silly - mine was the only one like it in the car park. Drove home again, just about demisted, then just popped out to check the drains and it's as bad again.

So I'm having to drive everywhere with all windows open. It's cold outside and I have a raging cold and sore throat, so I'll probably be dead from pneumonia before I sort the bloody car out!

16. MUSHY 16V

stella is it aircon or climate control on your Bora

17. stella

stella Forum Junkie

Exactly the same as your first pic, so air-con.

[​IMG]

18. Admin Guest

something somewhere in your car is wet.

19. MUSHY 16V

if you set the dial to the windows the air con shoud go off or not come on

give it a try

20. matt d Forum Member