Connecting servo to bodies-what hose?

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by beaniegti, Dec 30, 2015.

1. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Just wondering how everyone has tackled this in their cars.

I have a vacuum take off on cyl 4 (jenvey bodies) and want to connect it to the servo. I have the original hosing from the servo including the small outlet for the mfa and what I assume to be a one way valve? Do I need a high strength vacuum specific hose or will any, decent strength hose do?

Also, Is there a typical solution people use for blocking off the small, unused vacuum connection on the original hose (did it go to the ISV/tb originally?) I want to keep one for the mfa outlet but the other isn't needed.

Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I used whatever rubber bits I had kicking about in my garage for my mk1 16v, though I kept the rubber parts short. once hooked up fire the car and give it a good rev and release the throttle to make sure it isnt collapsing. depending on where the nipple is you may find something off the shelf to fit, the mk4 20v vacuum nipple is on the front passenger corner for example as is the vr6 i think?

while you're scrappy hunting mk3 golfs are a good source for the green blanks you need for the spare nipple on your non-return valve

beaniegti likes this.
  3. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Thanks John, I've got a couple of bits of fuel hose lying around and one seems far beefier than the other so I'll give it a try. Good tip for the blanking plugs too :thumbup:

Whilst you're here (kind of!) any tips for removing the pins from the various fusebox plugs? They seem to have twin securing legs and I can't for the life of me get the individual wires free from the connectors.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

in here I show a cheap tool I bought suitably modified to work, then later on more expensive laser kits which have better stuff in:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?192104

some have taken the metal strips out of a set of wiper blades and ground down with a grinder till they fit :)

beaniegti likes this.
  5. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Thanks again John, that's a good link. Sadly my ground-down tweezers didn't do the job I was hoping for!

However, I've since decided to cut off the wires leaving short tails in the connectors as a kind of colour coded backup to the labels on the removed wiring. Although I doubt the car will ever go back to standard I thought it would make life a little easier should I need to identify or reconnect any of those pins in the future.

6. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

I use proper `vac` hose. Stiffer wall and less likely to collapse under vac. It`s only > > 4 a metre, Delivered.< <

beaniegti likes this.
  7. beaniegti

beaniegti Forum Member

Thanks nige, I think I'll go for some of that once the thing is running.....I've found an offcut of something which I think was the old vacuum line so I can at least rig it up to try and get things working.

Nige likes this.