Converting Mk4 golf 2.0 Gti to 1.8 20vt wiring ?

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by projectred, Apr 7, 2013.

1. projectred Forum Member

Hi all I'm just wondering if anyone has converted a 2002 mk4 golf 2.0 8v Gti to a 1.8 20vt and if so is the car loom the same? I know I will need the engine loom but I've done a conversion on my 1.6 Bora few years back and the 1.8 20vt engine loom plugged straight into the car loom under scuttle. Any help would be super. Thanks in advance lads ;)

2. priceygti Forum Member

if you can get the engine code of the engine your removing and the code from the 1.8t a few of us on here can check the wiring diagrams and possibley get them online for you to print or something

if i recall 2002 is when there was a crossover of wiring so it might need some bits altering but again depends on the year of the 1.8t engine and looms

3. projectred Forum Member

hi pricey cheers for the reply. ok my engine is (AZJ) and its registered 14/01/2002. i have not yet got the 1.8t engine but hoping for a (AUM) as i know they have the fly by throttle. cheers.

4. projectred Forum Member

also is it possible to just use the fly by throttle body on an AGU etc? cheers.

5. projectred Forum Member

any ideas anybody?

6. priceygti Forum Member

i've just taken a quick look at the wiring diagrams for both engine codes and they don't look too different but i think RJ would be able to confirm

a drive by wire throttle will fit and work on an agu engine however it's not a simple swap, you need the correct ecu,wiring, throttle pedal its a lot more involved than you might first think as i am finding out myself at the moment

7. projectred Forum Member

hi mate yeah RJ has confirmed it :) i am gonna try and get a hold of a AUM or AUQ etc makes the job so much easier. thanks again bud ;)

8. shadyshades91 New Member

Hi i want to do the same conversion how ever my golfs a xreg cable throttle and will be swopping it for a 1.8t agu which is also cable is there anything i need to before gping ahead and getting stuck.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

basically first check is the plug between the main engine loom and the ecu loom section, its either a 10 pin or 14 pin. this is found either in the plastic loom conduit on passenger chassis leg or next to the battery. this determines which loom will be plug n play, and which will need modifications to fit. you can fit dbw loom to a non-dbw car easily enough, luckily for you the dbw pedal is on its own loom. you may have to add a bit of splicing for the brake pedal but that will be pretty easy only 2 wires for the ecu you need to tap into your brake pedal. preferably add the black 10pin plug to your car loom if not there that way the ecu loom will just plug in. you could add cruise at the same time if your ecu loom has the wiring for it (more wires on the black plug)

for an AGU worst case you'll have to swap 2 wires on large plug ecu loom if age is missmatched, and splice the 10/14 pin plug to small plug ecu loom to match your car

marky80Y and WillStandard16v like this.
  10. jasonm New Member

Just wanted to no if da wiring loom for da engine of a golf mk4 1.6 akl da same as a mk4 1.8 20v agn

11. rubjonny

not the same no, but as long as both looms are from similar age mk4 then the 20v will plug in. look at car and new loom see fi they both same number of pins on the big plug in engine bay. if 1 is 10 and the other 14 then you need to change the plug on one side to suit noting that 2 of the pin positions are swapped.

Plus check coloured plugs in scuttle. if one has a white plug and the other green then you need to swap 2 pins and chop a bit of the plug on one side to allow them to fit together or swap the right colour mating plug.

12. David Pimenta New Member

Hello , im new arround here and newbi on electrics and im looking for electric help conecting these two plugs T14a to T10a witch im changing to a T14 so it matches the engine plug... ive tried looking into bentley manual online and hayes and other golf manuals but nothing is making the engine start and keed running.
    ive been looking into previous threads but combinations on wires are not making the engine run... im fitting a 2001 vr6 24v BDE engine into a 99 golf mk4 that comes with the t10a and the engine T14a... looks to be the oposite from our friend above...

I have in the T10a: 1- green/black in the T14a : 1 - Black
    2 - black /green 2 - black/ white
    3 - empty 3 - white blue
    4 - lilac 4 - lilac
    5 - Red/ lilac 5 -empty
    6 - Yellow/black 6 - yellow/black
    7 - brown 7 - brown
    8 - black/lilac 8 - black/lilac
    9 - brown / white 9 - brown/white
    10 - green 10 - brown/blue
    11 - yellow / black
    12 - empty
    13 - red / black
    14 - empty

I hope someone can tell me how to re pin the wiring position on the new t14a im going to change. thanks in advance!

13. rubjonny

The pin positions of the t10a and t14a plugs are the same except pin 3 and 10 are swapped. pin 13 on the V6 is for the coolant pump, if you want that to work a bit of extra wiring to the fcm is needed

The coloured plugs are also the same except 2 wires on the orange plug t10 pin 3 and brown plug t6 pin 2 need to be swapped for reverse switch and fuel relay trigger, plus if the car has a green plug you'll need to trim it till it plugs into the white plug on the ECU loom

This thread might help
    https://www.clubgti.com/forums/inde...install-faq-now-with-added-dieselness.267196/

David Pimenta likes this.
  14. Nikola Andjelic New Member

hello guys can someone help me im going to swap my mk4 1.6 FSI(BAD engine code) to 1.8 t what i need to look at wiring on 1.8t