Coolant leak g60

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Chargemeup, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Chargemeup New Member

Hi all, I’ve recently fitted a g60 engine into my mk2 golf gti. All is going well and I’ve done over 200 miles on the rebuilt engine. However the Past couple of times I’ve driven it, a coolant leak starts about 10 minutes after it’s been switched off. There are no leaks on the pipepwork and the oil cooler is dry on top but dripping from the bottom. Has anyone had an oil cooler leak from the sandwich plate? I’m thinking that maybe it’s cracked, ot is new but it’s not a known make, ie it’s a cheapy one.

2. blu-tak Forum Member

You got a pic you could post up?

3. Chargemeup New Member

I’ll get one tomorrow

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

could be a pinhole in a hose round there or the cooler itself as you say, trouble is theres not much room to move round that area so its hard to pinpoiint. tbh just take everythign off around the area and have a good look

blu-tak and Chargemeup like this.
  5. Chargemeup New Member

All sorted! I removed the front end and intercooler and saw a small brown mark running along the top edge of the oil cooler flange, where the two halves of it are assembled when manufactured. Couldn’t see any water as it was tracking all the way around in the groove. Tightened the top hose and boom all fixed. Still find it strange how it only leaked minutes after switching off the engine. I would upload a picture but really can’t figure out how to . Thanks for all the inputs

6. blu-tak Forum Member

It might be as it cools it leaks, due to different thermal expansions. Just needed a tighter hose connection to resist that.