Coolant Temp Sender for Dash issue

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Deva, May 5, 2023.

1. Deva New Member

Hi everyone! Having trouble with my Mk2 1.6 petrol golf. The sensor(Lower one white) when bridged with the upper sensor(red) gives the full temperature on the dash but when the wire from the dash goes to the sensor and then from the other pin to the ground nothing happens, I'm guessing a faulty sensor, or am I doing something wrong? The fuel gauge is working so the dash should be fine. Cheers! Update: just found out those were the termo switches for the radiator and Intake heater, still confused, where should my temp sender be?? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2023
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the red switch is for the inlet heater, grey for autochoke (unused if you have a weber replacement) the dash temp sensor is the black one with a yellow/red wire. if its an early one with alloy flanges its a single pin, later with plastic flanges its a 2 pin

3. Deva New Member

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a black one, I only have red and white which as I found out are for the inlet heater and radiator. Where on the block should the Temp sender be?https://imgbox.com/BPOVLL9O Here is the image of the engine bay

4. rubjonny

yeah neither of those are dash temp. try on the bottom of the front flange or maybe on the side flange. the radiator fan switch is (should be!) in the radiator

5. Deva New Member

I'm Gonna check today but as I remember on the bottom flange there is only the white sensor and on the side part of the engine there is only a low oil pressure sensor(I think it is that)

6. rubjonny

yeah the one in the head is for oil pressure, but your coolant temp may be in the coolant flange on the side which feeds the heater matrix (if its even there, I see your coolant hoses are pretty 'custom' :lol:)

the sensor you would have for a car with the alloy flanges is an M10x1 threaded single pin, and its a yellow/red wire you're looking for but again since your loom is pretty messed about with the colours look to be different. But if you've found a wire which makes your gauge go to 100% when its earthed, thats your dash temp just need to add/find the right sensor and you'll be sorted :)

7. Deva New Member

Yeahh, all the wiring had to be redone and the cooling was messed up so i rewired everything and did all the pipes just was confused because there is a white 2 pin M10x1 coolant switch for the radiator fan but I have a switch already in the radiator so didn't know what it was for, do you happen to know the 1 pin M10x1 OE number?

8. rubjonny

the grey switch in the front flange is for the 2e2 carburettor autochoke unit and the red one for the inlet manifold heater as I say, the one in the radiator is for the fan :)

9. rubjonny

for M10 dash sensor you can use 027919501 or 049919501 :)

10. Deva New Member

Yes yes I know, The problem for me was that there is one more sensor underneath that is White: probably 035 919 369C and when I bought the car the gauge was going up to 1/4 all the time. :p

11. rubjonny

035919369C is also an inlet manifold heater switch, so you only need one of these and the other can be swapped for the coolant temp :)